How Cold is too Cold for a CPU...if it can be too cold?

Status
Not open for further replies.
dang you guys are keeping cold cpu's. stock p4 heat sinks don't cut it guess. my p4 ht running at 2.6-2.8 (2.6 is un oc'd) runs at between 47-52*C.

in theory theroy keeping a cpu too cold is bad for performance. remember, your comptuer uses conductors to transmit electric pulses, for electricity to flow electorns must be able to move freely inside the conductive material. as temps are lowered there is less molecular movement which translates into the electrons not being able to move as freely, thus resulting in higher resistance within the conductor.

keep in mind that is all in molecular theory, not in practice. at the temps we are talking about you probably won't see a diff. running cold vs. warm

how about running in the winter with windows open... just an idea, i do it regardless, but i need to start OC'in in the winter months :p

lol .. not too close to the window ..i could see it now ... a nice geometric snow flake flying in your window ... and falling on the motherboard..shorting god knows what out .. but i could see that work well ..(the cold air that is)

ekÆsine said:
What are you using to cool it Musjunk22?

Don't luagh but...dum dum dum....My window air conditioner. My parents started complaining about the electric bill so i had to bring it back down to somewhat normal speeds. Then I lapped my hs and lossed 5-7 degrees, ow it stays at 21C idle and 34C load @ 3.12GHz

What kind of air conditioner, because most air conditioners are based off water vapor to produce cold air and I don't know if I like the idea of that going into my computer =/ but I guess it's working thus far

what can i really do short of water cooling to bring my temps down? i'm running a large 10 bay case(chefitec/antec) a total of 7 or 8 fans including the cpu fan and the ones in the power supply. my heat sink(stock P4) has the intel "pad" on it, as well as some good thermal grease. and i'm still running at just under 50*C. what should i do? i don't want to add noise if i can help it. keep in mind though, i don't know how accurate my mobo temp sensors are. i don't really have any other way of measuring the temps. if i ever do manage to get a fan controller, where should my thermocouple go to get the most accurate readings?

has the intel "pad" on it, as well as some good thermal grease.
You NEVER put grease ontop of a thermal pad man. That's an absolute no no. If you read any directions of applying compound it'll tell you DO NOT put compound on an existing thermal pad. They aren't meant together. Do exactly like Fan boy said up there and scrape off the thermal pad if you want to use compound. That's why your temps are so high is it's got too much crap to go through for proper thermal conduction. Get some 99% isopropynol (rubbing alcohol) and use the edge of a credit card to safely remove that pad. You don't want to scratch up the bottom of your heatsink, and the alcohol will help to dissolve it a little. The alcohol REALLY works great on the grease, but will help a little with the pad.

I've had mine down to 0 C in the winter months here in Oswego. Although thats on the system monitor, so it was probly lower.
Windows were wide open, and I had my coat on, hehe, nothing like bringing winter inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom