New High-End Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
ram: i really doubt you'll need the 12gbs.
For a $2000+ budget no SSD?!
I agree, I decided to bump it back down to just the 6GB. I have 6GB DDR2 now and it is plenty.

I've read about some drawbacks with SSD, something about how the "blocks" are managed (I can't find it on my RSS feed, it was a while ago. If I find it I'll post it here). Also, they are dang expensive! I don't want to buy a small SSD just to store my OS on, I'd like to have all of my games and software on it as well to fully benefit from it. I would need at least 160gb which starts at $429.99. In the future I will definitely invest in one when the price comes down.

orihS ‪‪‪Shiro;1782582 said:
Motherboard:
I don't understand why you want the Deluxe vs the standard?
They're essentially the same, but one's cheaper.

RAM:
I advise against that particular ram set because of the high heatsinks, they may block your third party CPU cooler.
You're right, I'm going to go for the cheaper $230 model. No reason to spend the extra $ for 2x USB ports.

I'll keep what you said in mind about the RAM, thanks for the tip. I'll probably go with Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 6GB suggested by Slaymate.

Straight out of the box I would say the Venomous is a good performer but it won't match up with a lapped TRUE. http://www.techist.com/forums/f115/thermalright-venomous-x-222481/
If your willing to lap the TRUE it's your best bet.

The Corsair Dominators are not worth the money. Plus , with the tall heatspreaders you may have obstruction issues with a Good Heatsink.
Or if you just want to pay more get these.
Newegg.com - Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model 998681 - Desktop Memory

The Corsair 750 should be fine. If you want more power I would go with one of these.
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

Thanks for the info on the heatsinks, I'll go with the TRUE-120 then. I have never lapped before but I've watched and read many tutorials on it, I'd like to try it this time.

Thanks also for the tip on the RAM, as I stated above I'll go with the Mushkin you suggested.

I'll probably buy the Corsair 850w to be safe. I would gladly spend the extra $10 for the 950w, but one review said something about having issues with ASUS motherboards. I'm not sure how true that is, but I'd rather not risk it. Maybe I'll look around for more 900-1000w PSUs.

that's an outrageous price even for a 5970. it doesn't even have like a non-reference cooler or come pre-OCed or anything that would warrant that high of a price.

it looks like you just went with the most expensive one, um why, lol?

NCIXUS.com - Buy Sapphire Radeon HD 5970 OC Edition 735MHZ 2GB 4.04GHZ DDR5 PCI-E 2XDVI Mini DisplayPort Video Card - 21165-01-51R.
$640, although idk when there will be more stock.

THANK YOU! I figured that was kind of a high price for that video card too, but couldn't find it anywhere else. I searched the web to find it cheaper (namely using PriceGrabber and PriceWatch) and that was the best price I could find. Thanks so much!

Saving $160 on the card, $35 on the RAM, and $60 on the motherboard, I might go ahead and order the 2nd card now with it. If I just saved $255 and the card is $640 from NCIXUS I don't mind spending the extra $385 for it now.

EDIT
Also, I overlooked the PSU that aliasaid suggested, the Antec 1000w Modular. I think I'm going to go with this one since it is only $20 more expensive than the Corsair 850w AND modular, which is fantastic!

I've bought stuff at Provantage before, it's a reputable company. But they usually get you with the shipping charges.

I've bought stuff at Provantage before, it's a reputable company. But they usually get you with the shipping charges.
Good to know, I'll order from them then. I'll be willing to pay the shipping, I was already saving $160, now I'm savng an extra $15 with this site.

Can I ask you 1 more quick question? What makes the EVGA E758-A1 a better at overclocking than the ASUS P6T LGA? I'll gladly spend the extra $40 if the bridge heatsinks are better. I've only had experience with ASUS and Gigabyte motherboards so far in my custom builds.

EDIT
I just looked at the pictures, the heatsink on the bridges are significantly larger, and has a fan. I guess that makes sense. One more concern though, and I feel dumb for having to clarify, but this does support crossfire? I mean, it's an EVGA motherboard for one, and I don't see it anywhere on the page. I'd imagine it's safe to assume it supports SLI, but I didn't know if SLI and Crossfire were essentially the same thing hardware wise to where if a motherboard support one, it can support the other. I do understand they are the same in that the computer splits the work between the two cards which renders higher FPS since the GPUs do less work.

orihS ‪‪‪Shiro;1782639 said:
Provantage has been around for a long time.

P.S. Newegg shipped replacement i7 920s to those people on next day air.

Yeah I know NewEgg did that, still sucks :D NewEgg has great customer support and I wouldn't expect any less, but these other companies I didn't know anything about. But, the consensus here seems to be that Provantage is fine, and I trust you guys.

Is there really much point to xfire 5970s? Why not go with a SSD? You'll notice the difference between a standard hdd and a SSD by alot. Getting this intel 40gb is the most worth-while upgrade I've gotten recently. Everything is instant, is awesome, though I don't have room for games but really they already lost fast enough.

What I'd do personally, or buy two more monitors and have a sick eyefinity display.

Is there really much point to xfire 5970s? Why not go with a SSD? You'll notice the difference between a standard hdd and a SSD by alot. Getting this intel 40gb is the most worth-while upgrade I've gotten recently. Everything is instant, is awesome, though I don't have room for games but really they already lost fast enough.

What I'd do personally, or buy two more monitors and have a sick eyefinity display.

You have a great point on the HDD being my bottleneck now. However, I personally don't think a 40gb SSD is worth it to me. I don't want just my OS and a couple of my games on the main HDD. I'd rather have it all on there to fully appreciate the SSD.

Personally, I find that my current setup with older hardware (see below) my 750GB 7,200rpm HDD is fairly responsive. Firefox only takes a second or two to boot up. Battlefiled Bad Company 2 takes maybe 10 seconds to load a map. I can't complain too much, and I don't think shaving off some seconds on my load time from 10 seconds to 2 seconds on a BFBC2 map justifies the money for the SSD. I'd rather take a extra few seconds to boot up a game or application and enjoy the eye candy delivered from top-end video cards in crossfire.

Trust me, I'd love a SSD. But for right now, the cost to benefit ratio isn't quite right for me I don't think.

Should I buy the HD 5970 or wait for nVidia's GTX 480? It is rumored to be released later this month and might be worth the wait. Plus, the GTX 480 won't be their TOP end card, I assume they'll release a GTX 490 as they release a x9xx card with all series of cards (7900/8900/gtx295/etc.) and if it the GTX 490 is release within 90 days of me purchasing the GTX 480 I could utilize the step-up program.

Plus nobody is too sure on the pricing, but it is rumored to be priced like the 5870 ($400-$500?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom