Programming on the go, with a netbook?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all,

I've been seriously considering getting a netbook lately, with the main drive being the fact that I've taken up programming as a hobby and get the whim any/everywhere. (Secondary drives include web browsing and reading PDF-books and similar). Everything I've read pretty much everywhere has strongly recommended against netbooks for programming, and for the most part I understand. But is a netbook really that bad for programming if it's not your primary workstation? I'd prefer to be able to compile segments of code for unit testing (a few classes here and there), but the source files would all be moved to my desktop for application assembly and finalization. In these cases, is a netbook an acceptable performer?

Assume I've decided I can deal with keyboards (most of them I can) and that I'm willing to deal with repetitive min/maxing of windows to find information I'm looking for.

If not, would anyone have other recommendations for a cheap, mobile programming option?

in my computer science class the computers we work on have pentium D's inside..and those weren't the best CPU's ever lol

most netbooks have what ...a 1.6ghz-ish atom or similar CPU? I haven't done any highly advance programs that could increase compile times..but I don't think you would have any issues with a netbook. (Just don't try running java applets or anything like that on it..they pretty much bog down any machine I've used them on lol)

I'd say go for it. I use my netbook for programming all the time, I take it to class, use it for note taking, coding, homework, etc. At our school we do the compiling on school servers but I've compiled on my netbook and for small things it works fine. The biggest problem with it is you can't fit much code on the screen, so you have to flip through pages often and I did most of my larger assignments on my desktop or laptop (both have 1680x1050 screens). However, you can hook netbooks up to larger monitors (my netbook worked fine at 1680x1050 over VGA) if you aren't using it for high quality 3d graphics.

My netbook is a Lenovo S10 (Mobile broadband version with cellular modem and 1024x576 screen)

- Intel Atom N270 (1.6GHz)
- 1GB Built-in RAM + 1GB extra RAM (not really necessary, I "stole" it from my other laptop to see if it would increase performance)
- Intel GMA950 Integrated graphics
- 1024x576 10" LED-backlit LCD
- 3 cell battery
- Internal Bluetooth (added this so I could use a Bluetooth mouse)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom