Memory Frequency, ect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Night Fox

OCZ SSD Enthusiast
Well I was recently looking to upgrade memory for my gaming pc because I found it running a little slower than I'd like. I currently have 4gb of memory: OCZ Dual Channel Platinum 4096MB PC8500 DDR2 1066MHz Memory (2 x 2048MB) at TigerDirect.com

I was looking to get another 4gb when I read some reviews saying that it runs at 800mhz. I restarted my computer and (during boot-up) I found that my memory was running at 800mhz. I went into the BIOS and manually increased the speed to 1066mhz, its advertised speed. Now the BIOS says it is 1066mhz, but I don't really notice a difference. Does this speed change make any difference? If so, in what parts of the computer (starting programs? start-up?)

Is there a program that I can use to monitor memory frequency (and voltage, timings, etc)?

realistically, you would probably notice a performance increase in benchmarking, not so much from just general pc use.

what is the rest of your setup like; what parts?

Processor: Q9400. Quad Core, 2.66ghz
Video Card: GeForce 9500gt (not very good i know, but it still works for me..)
Motherboard: ASUS P5Q
Hard Drive: Western Digital 500GB 7200 rpm
PSU: Ultra 500w

I've searched around already, but is there any program that monitors memory at all?

Also, when i boot up, it says the memory is single-channel when it is really dual channel...how do i fix this?

try CPUID it will tell you at what freq. and timings (and i think voltages) your ram is running at.

in what slots do you have your ram installed in? they should be in either both yellow slots or both black slots for dual channel.

and i think the gfx card is your problem there, it's not a gaming card.

I have them installed in slots 1 and 2, now for the color, i have no idea...

I'll try cpuid and see what happens..

i mean the color of your ram slots.

yN6UXtBkmWwlAxWF_500.jpg

for your ram to work in dual channel, your 2 ram stick have to be in either the yellow slots (1 and 3) or the black slots (2 and 4)

....they are in slots 1 and 2, so no, 1 is in yellow and 1 is in black...

So all i have to do to make it dual channel is put them both in the same color?

What exactly does/is dual channel (do)?

....they are in slots 1 and 2, so no, 1 is in yellow and 1 is in black...

So all i have to do to make it dual channel is put them both in the same color?

i know, you already said you had them in slots 1 and 2, and both me and Slay are telling you that for the ram to work in dual channel, they need to be in slots 1 and 3 (both the yellow slots) or 2 and 4 (both the black slots).

the way you have it set up right now with your ram in slots 1 and 2 (yellow and black slot), the ram will only work in single channel, not dual.

What exactly does/is dual channel (do)?

Dual-channel architecture - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

SEE IMAGE HERE!

This is a screenshot of the memory tab of that program you gave me. I see it says single channel. All that I would need to do to make it dual channel is changed the memory so they're in the slots of the same color?

Another thing is that the DRAM Frequency is 534.3ghz. I changed the ram frequency in the bios to 1066...why doesn't the program give me the same number?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom