freeze on startup/bios screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finis

Baseband Member
hello,
when i turn on my computer it stays frozen on the startup/bios screen (i dont actally know what it is called) i cant enter bios and it just stays stuck permanently on that screen. i havent done any changes to my computer in the last 6 months and it was working fine just last night.
weather its realted or not it did freeze up a couple of times a week quite randomly and the only option was to restart it. any idears on the cause or how i can fix it?
ive tested the cable conections to the mobo and manualy jumped the cmos which have made no difference. any help would be appriciated.
my specs:
mobo gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 socket 775 DDR2
ram OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400 2x1gb
intel core 2 quad q6600 2.4ghz
gpu galaxy geforce 8800gt 512mb ddr3

edit: i have also tried putting the ram in different slots to no avil,and also something that might be considered important is that the cpu fan is still working when i turn on the pc

edit 2:i had a power cabel going into the PCIE_12V power conector, can that fry the mobo?

What power supply are you using (make & model)?

Have you cleaned the dust out of the PC lately?

Have you ever cleaned the cpu's heatsink and applied new thermal paste.

Have you tried starting it with only 1 stick of ram installed. Try it with the other stick by it's self also.

Try unhooking one device at a time until your down to just the bare minimun.

Just for your benefit, if your cpu is a quad core, you don't say "core 2", it's "quad core"

Anyway, for your problem. You might want to reset your BIOS. Take out the watch battery, wait a few minutes and put it back in. Try booting up again.

If not, try taking out your hard drive.

What does it freeze on, in bootup?

Core 2 Quad is the correct nomenclature for the Quad Core.
Core 2 Duo is for the Dual Core.

Core 2 is the make of the architecture.

thanks people, ive tried all of that and it made no difference, i then decided to use a circuit cheaker on it, the whole tower was making a cuircuit ie it was grounding itself to the tower, i pulled it apart and had it running fine on a piece of cardboard, i then put it back into the tower and it was still making contact. so ive decided to spend 50 to 100 euros on a new tower, any surgestions?

check the metal stand-offs that the mobo bolts to. Make sure they are all in the correct locations. One stand-off per mobo hole. If there is a stand-off and no hole then it will short out the system. Some older mobo's had one(1) hole more than most newer mobo's and this extra stand-off can cause problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom