Time for a new gaming build! (Please give feedback.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mordred

In Runtime
My computer is only two years old, and runs fine, but recently my brother's computer died. Being the nice sibling that I am, I'm going to pass this one on to him and build myself a new one.

My budget is $2000(US) and I will be using it for high end gaming and some video editing with Vegas and After Effects. I do not need any input devices with the exception of a new monitor, but I'm not too worried about that yet. I've been out of the loop for a while, so I'm sure my list can use some work. (I also tend to avoid overclocking like it's the plague, so keep that in mind.)

CPU: i7-920 Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Motherboard (Could Definitely use some suggestions:) Asus P6T Deluxe Newegg.com - ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

PSU (I plan on getting just one video card for the moment, but might add a second later:) CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies

Memory: I'm not sure if I want to run the memory at the board's standard speed of 1333, or if I want to try for 2000, so Newegg.com - G.SKILL Trident 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-16000CL9T-6GBTD - Desktop Memory for 2000 and Newegg.com - G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7T-6GBPK - Desktop Memory for 1333 I suppose. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Video Card: I was looking to go with the 295, but can only find it re-certified...so I guess the 285 will do for now, or until I can find the 295. Newegg.com - EVGA 01G-P3-1180-AR GeForce GTX 285 1GB 512-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

CPU Heatsink: Tuniq Newegg.com - Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme Universal CPU Cooler 120mm Magnetic Fluid Dynamic LED Fan and Fan Controller/Heatsink Rev.1 with TX-3 & 1156 Brackets - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

Case: Antec Twelve Hundred (Open to Suggestions, but I want a full size tower.) Newegg.com - Antec Twelve Hundred Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

I already have Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, so I won't need an OS. Like I said, I've been out of the loop, so feel free to improve upon what I already have listed.

If you would like to suggest a monitor, I'm looking for a 22" and it has to have ZERO ghosting, as I play mostly FPS games, and need high performance.

Edit: I almost forgot about Hard Drives. I hear some things about SSD's but know nothing about them, so I would appreciate some advice on what to use for my OS and what to use for my games/media.

Thanks for reading!

Why do you avoid overclocking?
Why are you buying an after market cooler if you're not overclocking?

A 650w Corsair would tie you over for a two card setup.
Also a 650w Antec Earthwatts which is only $70 would work too.

Get the 2000Mhz RAM if decide to overclock, otherwise get RAM rated for the board.

Graphics card
Get an ATI 5870 or 5970.
Why go Nvidia dude?
ATI wins all the benchmarks right now.
The only reason I see to go Nvidia is if you really like PhysX, and even then there's ways to get a dedicated PhysX card and use an ATI card as a primary.

You do NOT need a full size tower, but if you insist on having a case that's the size of a small filing cabinet, then by all means.
( I recommend Lian Li cases for your price range usually. )

As far as monitors go... at 22" LG used to have a nice monitor at 22" with 1680x1050 resolution that had 176/170 viewing angles a .27 pixel pitch.
That would have been my suggestion, but it up and disappeared.

I think AOC has a good 22", I'll check.
Newegg.com - AOC 2236vw Glossy Black 22" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor 60000:1 - LCD Monitors

Yep, that's the one.
I think that's my current suggestion, for a high quality 22" monitor that doesn't cost $350+
If you're willing to spend a lot on the monitor though, there are S-IPS and S-PVA 22" monitors.

many of your choices are already good.

ram, i would get this
Newegg.com - OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3G1600LV6GK - Desktop Memory

gfx card; no real good reason to buy an nvidia card right, ati just has better options at better prices.
get this instead
Newegg.com - HIS H587F1GDG Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card w/ATI Eyefinity - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
not only is it a little cheaper than the 285, but has better performance and supports dx11.

other case you might like
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

Why do you avoid overclocking?
I have had bad experiences in the past. I also don't think the performance boost is worth spending weeks tweaking voltages/timings/speeds until everything runs stable.
Why are you buying an after market cooler if you're not overclocking?
No air-conditioning in the summer, plus I usually buy the OEM version of the CPU.

A 650w Corsair would tie you over for a two card setup.
Also a 650w Antec Earthwatts which is only $70 would work too.

Thanks for that!

Get the 2000Mhz RAM if decide to overclock, otherwise get RAM rated for the board.
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7T-6GBPK - Desktop Memory it is then...assuming Gskill is still a good brand. Unless I can find a good Motherboard that runs DDR3 at 2000 or 1600.

Why go Nvidia dude?
When I first got into computers I used ATI and never liked their control panel, or their customer service. When it comes to electronics, I tend to stick with brands that have always worked for me. My last 3 video cards were a 6600, an 8800, and currently a GTS 260 216. Unless ATI's current high-end card has some Benchmarks that make Nvidia's look like a chew toy, I'd rather stick with the manufacturer that has never let me down.

EDIT: I am a little curious about one thing though. I don't know too much about SLI or Crossfire, but is it true that you can't use two monitors with SLI while you can with Crossfire? This may be enough to push me over to ATI considering I'd rather buy two cards than have to either stick with one or purchase three in order to run a dual monitor setup.

You do NOT need a full size tower, but if you insist on having a case that's the size of a small filing cabinet, then by all means.
I've had issues with space on larger video cards/heatsinks in the past with Mid-size cases, but I will look into Lian Li.

Thanks for the input on the monitor situation, I'll definitely check that out once I get the rest of my components squared away.

I know of some mid towers that have no problem housing triple or quad setups along with a slew of hard drives and other crud.

There are some fairly large mid towers.

Don't let me discourage you though, I've heard there's nothing better than having all the work room you could ever need with a nice full tower.

Though if you were going with a mid tower.
Something like Newegg.com - LIAN LI Lancool PC-K7B Black Aluminum/ SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
Newegg.com - LIAN LI Lancool PC-K62 Black 0.8 mm SECC, Plastic + Mesh ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER CM690 II Advanced Black Steel body / Plastic + Mesh bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

Would probably NOT let you down.

Also if you're going to get an after market cooler, dude at least do a small overclock.
Look at it this way.
With the i7 920, which is capable of going up to 4.2Ghz on air cooling...
It comes stock at 2.66Ghz...

You can get it clocked up to 3.6Ghz in 1 minute, not even trying.
You don't have to touch anything but the frequency for such a small overclock in most cases (Assuming your RAM is halfway decent).
I swear overclocking the i7's is easier than stealing candy from a baby.

For a possible SLI or Crossfire setup you should stick with the Corsair 750 power supply.

Don't bother with the DDR3 2000 memory, even if you change your mind and decide to overclock it's not going to help you. I recommend getting the DDR3 1600 Muffin Man recommended or this instead.
Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL8T-6GBRM - Desktop Memory
Also, avoid memory modules with large heatspreaders as they can interfere with your aftermarket fan & heatsink.

As for the Tuniq Tower, it's not worth that much money. This is an excellent heatsink for the price and if your not overclocking then anything else is just a waste.
Newegg.com - Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120 mm Core-Contact Freezer CPU Cooler W/TX-2 - CPU Fans & Heatsinks
You'll need to order the LGA1366 retention bracket for it.
Newegg.com - Sunbeam CR-LGA1366 LGA 1366 Core I7 Socket Retention Bracket Set - CPU Fans & Heatsinks
And it will need a fan. This one is adjustable for more air (louder), or less air (quiet).
Newegg.com - Antec 761345-75120-9 120mm Case Fan - Case Fans

Stick with a Full Tower case if you have the room. Your PC will Luv you for the added ventilation space. The Antec 1200 is an excellent choice :D

I've decided to try a small Overclock on the i7.
Here's a revised list of components:

CPU: i7 920 Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Motherboard: (The only one I could find with a lot of good reviews that supports Crossfire.) ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 Newegg.com - ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

PSU: Corsair CMPSU-750HX Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-750HX 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

Video Card: (I may have to go with only one due to being over budget as is. If I go with only one GPU I will probably stick with Nvidia and get the GTX 285 considering I have no experience with ATI and don't really trust them.) 5870 x 2 Newegg.com - HIS H587F1GDG Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card w/ATI Eyefinity - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaw DDR3 1600 Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL8T-6GBRM - Desktop Memory or OCZ Gold DDR3 1600 Newegg.com - OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3G1600LV6GK - Desktop Memory

HDs:
OS/Gaming Drive: (I'm Really on the fence with these SSDs. I hear mixed things, and the price doesn't help...I mean $200+ for 60Gb is outrageous!) OCZ Vertex Turbo 60Gb Newegg.com - OCZ Vertex Turbo OCZSSD2-1VTXT60G 2.5" 60GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - SSD
Data Drive: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Case: Antec 1200 Newegg.com - Antec Twelve Hundred Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases or HAF 932 Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

After Market CPU Cooler: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7 compatible RR-B10-212P-G1 120mm "heatpipe direct contact" Long life sleeve CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

Monitor: (I'm still not really sure about what monitor I want. I need something high quality for a lower price, so this is the best I've found. Suggestions definitely welcome!) ASUS VW246H Glossy Black 24" 2ms(GTG) Newegg.com - ASUS VW246H Glossy Black 24" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 ASCR 20000:1 (1000:1) Built-in Speakers - LCD Monitors

Price is currently at: $2500 before shipping. Which is 500$ over budget. It's not that I can't afford to spend that much on a PC. I just don't know if I can justify it. If I stick with just one GPU I can get that down to $2100ish. Any suggestions on lowering cost are certainly welcome. Thanks guys! (Special Thanks to orihS ‪‪‪Shiro for answering my many PMs!)

if you can't afford 2 gfx card right now then just get 1. a single 5870 will already tear through most games at that monitor's res.

but either way, i would still highly suggest sticking with a 5870 over a gtx 285, it just has more to offer for the same or lesser price.

why don't you trust ati?

It's not that I can't afford it, it's more of a "Wow, this computer costs more than a lot of people have right now! I'm not sure if I should spend that much!" kind of thing.

Regarding ATI: I have friends that have had issues with spotty tech-support and bad drivers. Plus I hear that Catalyst Control Center (I think that's what it's called) is a pain to use. I've been using Nvidia since the 6 series, and have never had one issue, so It's kind of like an "If it's not broken don't fix it" type of thing.

if you can't afford 2 gfx card right now then just get 1. a single 5870 will already tear through most games at that monitor's res.

but either way, i would still highly suggest sticking with a 5870 over a gtx 285, it just has more to offer for the same or lesser price.

why don't you trust ati?

There are good reasons not to trust ATI.
Catalyst 10.2 Being in beta forever.
ati2dvag.dll errors
ati3duag.dll errors

The 5870 stripes

Though I mean, I wouldn't let those reasons hold me back from purchasing a card from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom