Memory Stick vs Memory Stick Pro vs Memory Stick Pro Duo

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbc

Banned
Other than capacity what is the difference between the Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro and the Memory Stick Pro Duo?

MS was the original from Sony, with a capacity of 128MB, and is no longer manufactured.

MS Pro is MS with a slightly higher transfer rate and a max capacity of 32GB.

MS Pro Duo is the small form factor of Pro. Almost half the size of it's predecessors.

If I have a camera that is built to take Memory Stick Pro can I put in a Memory Stick Pro Duo in its place?

I think you would need an MS Duo adapter because the Duo sticks are alot smaller and thinner. Kinda defeats the purpose of using Pro Duo with an adapter because it will slow the transfer speeds down. I don't think it's very noticeable between all of them to be honest.

Is it more cost effective to buy the adapter over replacing the camera? My friend has an old digital camera that takes only the Memory Stick Pro but would like to duo, and I am wondering if it would be more cost effective to replace the camera then buying the adapter.

Like I said before, I don't think theres much of a difference between the transfer speeds. If his old digital camera still works why get a new one? Unless he really wants a new camera. The adapter is cheap and gets the job done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom