WARNING! NVIDIA 196.75 Drivers Can Kill Your GPU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh please you can not give me that junk about Vista's BSoD's. As i can point you into the direction of over 2000 topics about ATi drivers and Win7 if you want. Comapred to the 500 for nVidia. So dont try to give me that junk as it is as inaccurate as the download count for Firefox.

Heck vista is so bad if you sneezed by it the thing would crash and get a virus all at the same time. Vista was coded so rough and so fast that nothing worked properly on it.

I am the exact opposite of Burn. I have had more issue with the ATi card in my wifes laptop than i have had with 3 nVidia cards in my PC builds. she has only run Ubuntu and XP on that laptop and even for XP it is nothing but a hassle to even update the drivers properly. Yet i have no issues running everything on my PC.

It is just like your OS of choice. It is a personal preference.

Oh please you can not give me that junk about Vista's BSoD's. As i can point you into the direction of over 2000 topics about ATi drivers and Win7 if you want. Comapred to the 500 for nVidia. So dont try to give me that junk as it is as inaccurate as the download count for Firefox.

Heck vista is so bad if you sneezed by it the thing would crash and get a virus all at the same time. Vista was coded so rough and so fast that nothing worked properly on it.

I am the exact opposite of Burn. I have had more issue with the ATi card in my wifes laptop than i have had with 3 nVidia cards in my PC builds. she has only run Ubuntu and XP on that laptop and even for XP it is nothing but a hassle to even update the drivers properly. Yet i have no issues running everything on my PC.

It is just like your OS of choice. It is a personal preference.

Nvidia still had more BSODs than Intel and ATi combined which should be a clear sign of a problem since Intel alone has more than 50% of the gpu market. If the BSODS were related to flaws in Vista Intel should have had the largest percentage followed by Nvidia then ATi.

You can't directly compare mobile cards drivers to desktop ones, both companies are far slower to update drivers for their mobile parts although they have started to get better recently.

Of the system in my family that are running semi modern dedicated cards (2007 or newer) I haven't had many driver related issues but of the ones I have had most of them are on my system which happens to be the only one with a Nvidia card. Back when I first got Far Cry 2 I had such frequent driver crashes that I seriously considered downgrading to a HD 2600xt so I could at least play the game for longer than 5 minutes.

after having experienced Win 7
looking back, I can't believe I paid for Vista...
I want a refund...

This is really messed up for the people whos GPU's were murdered. And nVidia really can't afford any more bad rep right now....yikes. Not a good day for nVidia or their customers at all.

I'm sure Nvidia is going to try and make good. I think theres a thread over at HardOCP that Nvidia is monitoring, if you have problems you can make a post for help.

NVIDIA Statement on Bad Drivers

Earlier we reported on the new WHQL NVIDIA drivers that could actually kill your GPU. We got an updated statement from NVIDIA's Bryan Del Rizzo this evening. And NVIDIA wants to know if you are having issues, let me know.

We are still root causing the issue and reaching out to those customers who seem impacted by the driver.

We want to make sure anybody who has not downloaded the driver does not do so from any other sites who still have the driver up, and for those that have downloaded it, we want to make sure they roll back to the previous driver located here:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/driver_rollback.html

If any of your readers reach out to you that are affected, please feel free to forward their contact info to me so our team can reach out to them directly.

How exactly does one measure the number of crashes caused by drivers?

I mean, if you type "nvidia driver crash" into google, you get ~3,000,000 results. And if you type "ati driver crash", you get ~2,300,000 results. If you type a bunch of other combinations, for example "bsod", I pretty much see more results with Nvidia than ATI.

I read this a while ago. I noticed my video card getting 100C+ running StarCraft II.. Then I installed RivaTuner and used that to control the fans on the card, and it never went over 90C.

Amazing.. I could have boiled water on my video card :tongue:

I knew it :p post a thread with a negative view on Nvidia drivers and aaaaaaaaallllllll the ati fanboys jump on. puddles, you started it. Go sit in the corner :)

It's not up for debate, as a general rule Nvidia has had better drivers and driver support for their products than ATI. That is mostly because they have a much larger coding group.
Doesn't mean that all Nvidia drivers are going to be nuggets of pure gold and all ATI can do is throw poo at their customer base. Obviously both companies will release good and bad drivers, they're not perfect...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom