New guy,just finished first build, what do ya think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cabech984

Solid State Member
Hi, I'm Chris from Ohio. I just got into building computers after using a friends high powered rig. So I built my own. Mine is more reasonably priced than his. I've got a little over $800 in the rig so far. Here it is

AMD AthlonII X4 620 2.6ghz overclocked to 3.0ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790GPT-UD3H AM3 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
Corsair XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
WD Caviar Black 1tb hd
OCZ Vertex 30gb SSD for OS
Sony Optiarc DVD Burner
Antec 300 Case w/ 2 intake and 2 exhaust fans
Corsair 400w psu
Sapphire Raedon 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5
Windows XP Ultimate Edition 64 bit

I should've gotten a bigger PSU but I didnt plan for much of a video card. I've read some people have gotten away using the corsair 400w psu with the 5770 so I have my fingers crossed. Ive been running Prime95,everest, and AMD Overdrive and have been very stable so far. I may overclock a little more this weekend. What do you guys think of this setup?

EDIT: I've been running the stability programs all week and have been very stable@3.0GHZ. I ran prime95 for 6 hours the other night. Here were my highest temperatures recorded during the test;

MOBO: 66 degrees celsius
CPU: 56c
Core1: 57c
2: 57c
3: 57c
4: 57c

Idle temps:
MOBO: 29c
CPU: 31c
Cores 1-4: 22c

Windows cpu performance test

CPU: 7.3
Memory : 7.4
Graphics: 7.4
Gaming: 7.4
HD: 6.9

For the price of the 790GX motherboard you can buy an 890GX motherboard.
You only need a 790 chipset motherboard if you're thinking of doing crossfire in the future anyway, and you don't need a 790GX unless you need the integrated graphics for some reason.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128378
Would benefit you the same as your current mobo, and save you some $$.

Assuming you don't want crossfire in the future.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131619
Would offer you the same performance as your current mobo at nearly half the price.

If you're using the Vertex for the OS/main drive, if I were you I'd have gotten a 1Tb Spinpoint F3, Caviar Blue, or Caviar Green instead of that Caviar Black.
Samsung Spinpoint F3 > Caviar Black in raw performance
Caviar Green > Caviar Black in energy usage
Caviar Blue > Caviar Black for reliability

I approve of the burner, the ssd, the PSU, and the graphics card.

The 400w Corsair PSU shouldn't have any problem with the 5770, your total system power draw is probably between 220w and 300w.

I don't approve of the Antec 300 for personal reasons.
(I am against Antec cases.)

orihS ‪‪‪Shiro has solid points

coulda gotten board with USB 3.0
30GB bit too small for my tastes, I would have went for the intel 40GB :p
didn't realize there is a Windows XP Ultimate version... Windows 7 supports TRIM, should use that instead. some how I got a feeling you can get your hands on a copy of Win 7.
Corsair 400W is fine for that build

orihS ‪‪‪Shiro has solid points

didn't realize there is a Windows XP Ultimate version... Windows 7 supports TRIM, should use that instead. some how I got a feeling you can get your hands on a copy of Win 7.
Corsair 400W is fine for that build

Haha, I'm used to old stuff lmao. I have Windows 7 Ultimate.

I have the same SSD as my OS drive as you. Pretty sweet eh? I think the 30 is fine. I have win 7 ultimate on it with a bunch of system programs and Star Trek online on it and still have around 5 gb left. I picked the OCZ over the intel because at the time it was cheaper and claims a better write speed.

orihS ‪‪‪Shiro;1781725 said:
For the price of the 790GX motherboard you can buy an 890GX motherboard.
You only need a 790 chipset motherboard if you're thinking of doing crossfire in the future anyway, and you don't need a 790GX unless you need the integrated graphics for some reason.
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-MA790XT-UD4P AM3 DDR3 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards
Would benefit you the same as your current mobo, and save you some $$.

Assuming you don't want crossfire in the future.
Newegg.com - ASUS M4A78LT-M LE AM3 AMD 780L Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards
Would offer you the same performance as your current mobo at nearly half the price.

If you're using the Vertex for the OS/main drive, if I were you I'd have gotten a 1Tb Spinpoint F3, Caviar Blue, or Caviar Green instead of that Caviar Black.
Samsung Spinpoint F3 > Caviar Black in raw performance
Caviar Green > Caviar Black in energy usage
Caviar Blue > Caviar Black for reliability

I approve of the burner, the ssd, the PSU, and the graphics card.

The 400w Corsair PSU shouldn't have any problem with the 5770, your total system power draw is probably between 220w and 300w.

I don't approve of the Antec 300 for personal reasons.
(I am against Antec cases.)

I got the 790gx because I did plan on not having a graphics card for a while. I was wrong, i had the pc built last friday. I just installed the 5770 today, I was fed up with the onboard graphics already lol. I actually looked into a USB 3.0 board but went for this one instead.

I went for the caviar black by recommendation from a friend(along with 99% of these parts).

You linked my mobo btw, the 890gx's I saw were in the $140-$150 range. I paid $95 for mine, after mail in rebate.

Thanks for the opinions though, I'm learning alot off this forum and my buddy who helped set this pc up!

Ok, here are some pics of my case. My wire management is 0.2/10 lmao. The Antec 300 with the Corsair 400w PSU together = FAIL!! Any suggestions on making it purtier?

IMG_0078.jpg

IMG_0077.jpg

My friend helped me gather parts, assemble, and setup the bios. He taught me nothing about wire management lol.
Chris

Good luck ever crossfiring with that mess.
o_O
Your 790GX is gonna go to waste. :'<
That makes me sad. :\

Also, I NEVER recommend Antec cases due to the wire management issues + the price.
Antec cases are just popular because they are surviving off the reputation they built a couple years ago or so.
They can afford to sell sub par cases for more.... Because they're trusted...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom