Xbox drive in PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bsharding

Baseband Member
I was just curious if this has been done or if it is possible? I think it would be pretty cool to have an Xbox Dvd-drive added to the computer.

it can be easily done :).. you just have to have a place to mount the rest of the xbox hardware.. because you cant just take out the drive and pop it in :p lol... but i think if sone has a the right *funding* ;).. it can be done pretty easily.. perhaps if u just add a small compartmant on the top of ur pc and cool it with fans then ud be set :).. but other htan that the electrical and everything is very easy.. just the case modding is kinda hard lol

I don't know. I took apart my xbox recently and tried to use the HD as a backup drive, but found out the bus speeds aren't the same soooo can't use that. Beyond that the drive will also probably be incompatible with your motherboard aaaaand let me go look at the drive real quick.....................ok yeah it does use an IDE cable, but it doesn't have a normal 4pin connector like the HD does, but like Silver said it shouldn't be too hard to mod power to it, BUT you don't really know if it has the same power requirements as a normal dvd-rom so that could be an issue. Since I have this drive out...I'm going to look into that question and see if I can't install this drive in my secondary computer. So I'll get back to you on that ;)

aright I read quite a few things and basically it's hard to find a straight answer, but I don't think you'll be able to get it to work in a PC regardless if you get power to it. I believe it's because it needs the bios that was specifically designed for the xbox and a normal PC BIOS won't recognize it. I'm looking at the drive's internals and I don't see how you'd get power to it anyway unless you knew a sh!tload about this drive

lol i wasnt refering to connecting it to ur mobo... i just thought that if he placed the internals in a modded compartment on the case... and connected the power and the video out to a tv tuner card or something than that way he could easily play xbox on his pc... :)... like ive seen mods where ppl have put those portable lcd screens for ur camecube onto a pc... so this should be pretty feasible.... but i dont have the funds to actually go and try to ruin an xbox :p lol perhaps ill buy an old used one and see if i can do it :)

Thats why I was thinking about it, because you can get the drive for pretty cheap from Ebay. I wonder if anyone has made a patch or something so the drive can be recognized. Another thing is, if you got the drive running, would you be able to play the games or just Dvds?

to add a HDD from xbox you have to get some special software. Essentialy, you have to unlock the HDD (ties it to the xbox contoller), there is info if you goggle it with pics.

yeah I can't afford to just toss out an xbox either, but unfortunately it hasn't been working for quite sometime now so then one day it became the victim of a plotted terrorist bombing in my backyard :D So I took out the important stuff, HD and drive beforehand, and heatsinks and all that stuff too. And yeah, there's no way you'd be able to play the games and like I said before the BIOS wouldn't ever be able to recognize it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom