Cleaning the PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gothch1ck

Daemon Poster
Ok so... I think this might go here.. but... I dunno

So i was just talkin with a friend and how I have to scrub out my PC's insides with a brush and stuff to keep it dust free.. and how useful it would be to have a "Pledge" for computer insides to help prevent dust build up...

then I did some googling and found
Audio Direct - Endust Anti-Static Cleaning And Dusting Pump Spray

SO... Endust made a safe anti-dust spray for the inside of computers? Can anyone verify it is safe to use INSIDE on fans and stuff and not just on keyboards/screens? I don't want any kind of nasty side effects, but dust is caking on my fans outside my computer (room fans) and it gets worse inside fast.

I have an HAF 932 case, would setting the top Fan to "intake" and the side to "exhaust" help flow better?
Preventing dust - is there a such thing as "high air flow dust proof" meshes to stop dust from gettin in the PC, but not hinder cooling air?

As it is set up it has 3x230mm x30 mm fans @ 110 CFM each
2 I know are intake - Front and Side.
Top I think is exhaust

back is a 140x25mm fan @ 60CFM for an exhaust.

Is this enough exhaust for 2-3 fans taking in 110CFM? or is there some lingering air inside possibly causing heat problems?

I just use an old rag, a vacuum cleaner and my lungs to clean out PCs. Not once have I ever purchase anti-static dust spray, canned air, or anything like that.

I've also been doing it this way for about 10 years, and not a single component has died of static discharge/moisture buildup.
Honestly just get those fans out of the case, grab an old toothbrush, and go to town. Same for the heatsinks. For the motherboard/motherboard tray/case just use a rag or your lungs.

edit: I use an air compressor at work only because I've usually got 10+ pcs to do at once. I still use a toothbrush then tho, to really clean the heatsinks out properly.

Seconded, I always just use a vacuum to clean the inside of my PC, sometimes I'll take apart the PSU to get the dust out of it as well. If the fans are really bad I'll take them out and clean them by hand or run them under water (I've ran a lot of fans under water, nothing bad happens to them but you have to dry them off quickly (I plug them into a battery, it spins and moves air to get the water out but doesn't risk messing with the high voltage from the power supply) or else the motor will rust). If they don't spin well, take the blades out, clean the shaft and bearing (if it's a sleeve bearing) and then put new oil in and put it back together.

I live in Colorado where it's extremely dry, so the kind of "caking" you're talking about never happens except in someone's kitchen, but I still see wads of pet hair and other horrors. I've also seen "carpets" that have formed over PSU vents.
Dry air causes bigger static problems, though. Canned air is all I've used.
If you try it, let us know if it makes a difference. I'm just guessing it won't matter.

I wouldn't think that computers would be the problem. They have grounded metal cases. The problem is people who touch them. So anti-static spray would be better on people.
If that's the approach, then fabric softener in your washer/drier is a better idea.
I'm an athlete, though. Fabric softener ruins the hi-tech properties of Teflon (GoreTex, DryMax, etc.) and water-resistant/water-repellent coatings. So I use air on computers and I pay more attention to neutralizing myself before touching electronics. Some shocks are so big my son exclaims in the next room. I have to grab my keys and let the bolt of lightening go from key to ground to keep from getting zapped directly.

A few rules for cleaning computers I have set up, in my too many years in the field.

1)Always hold a finger on any fan you are cleaning. Yes its fun to make the zip sound as they spin, but that over spins them and can fry the bearings inside.
2)Use a static free micro fiber cloth, and gently wipe down the blades of all the fans you can reach
3)Work from the back to the front in the opposite way of air flow. This will dislodge far more dust and dirt.
4)I have a micro vacuum at work, but they are not necessary for simple home cleanings.

Just think out each thing you do, be sure you don't build up static, use a anti-static wrist guard if you want, no shame in being over careful. The best advice I can give everyone is, clean often, I do my home computers every 3 months, and the work machines are on a 6 month rotation.

Well see thats all fine and stuff I was just trying to help find a way to stop build up.

Pledge on wood surfaces (chairs tables etc) has been known to "repel" dust. I was looking for that sort of result for the inside of the computer- if the surfaces are actively repelling dust away, you would assume less build up on the components like fans and such (although more build up on the vents/grills due to it being pushed out)

Would sure make cleaning much faster and easier, instead of opening and cleaning every fan blade etc, you just wipe down the vents. (inside and out)

I have a small air compressor I use, it's cheaper than buying canned air after a year or so. I blow my PC out about once a week and I'll only hand clean the fan blades every few months.

I would shy away from any type of Dust Repellant Spray, while it may not be electrically conductive, it could form a chemical coating that inhibits thermal dissipation. You can blow dust away but how do you clean a chemical coating? I'd hate to have to take everything apart and clean it all with alcohol.

Well see thats all fine and stuff I was just trying to help find a way to stop build up.

Pledge on wood surfaces (chairs tables etc) has been known to "repel" dust. I was looking for that sort of result for the inside of the computer- if the surfaces are actively repelling dust away, you would assume less build up on the components like fans and such (although more build up on the vents/grills due to it being pushed out)

Would sure make cleaning much faster and easier, instead of opening and cleaning every fan blade etc, you just wipe down the vents. (inside and out)

If you're trying to keep dust out of the pc, then dust filters in front of all the intake fans are a good idea. Depending on how dusty your area is you'll have to clean them out pretty regularly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom