Is 775 cpu socket a dead spec?

Status
Not open for further replies.

darsunt

In Runtime
I've read a comment on the internet that the 775 cpu socket is a dead spec, which I assume means that it is outdated. Now I've not been building for a couple of years, but I find that hard to believe. Wolfdale duo cores are already outdated?

Socket 775 won't be seeing any new releases.

It is dead.

If you want a socket for upgrading, I'd recommend going with AM3.
If you want to stay with Intel, 1156 is the current mainstream socket.

Won't really say it's outdated as people still has them within their systems and some people still use the Core 2 processors. It just has more recent sockets which made room for the i5s and i7s that came along and started ruling the market. This way people tend to stray away since these are more in demand now.

Edit: As stated above with the "not receiving new releases" statement, well towards that yes I'll say it's dead. But people who doesn't have to money to buy the current processors such as i5s-i7s or AMD equivalents would eventually stick to the Core 2s and stuff till they can purchase updated stuff.

Yeah, 775 won't be seeing anything new. The newer socket, 1156, already has a great range of CPU's in performance and price so I would definitely go that route.

Not to beat a dead topic, but yeah it is in the essence of new releases dead. But that does not mean it is not worth buying, if you can't afford the newer scokets 775 is still a good platform. Its not like it is so out dated you would not even be able to pay someone to buy it. That spot is reserved for socket A and just about s939...

not completely outdated, but just not a smart option now considering there are many more newer options now, from both intel and amd.

it would probably be a good option if you already have an lga775 rig and you want to upgrade the cpu, but like i said, there are just other, better options if you're starting a new build.

I have a 775 system and it is a great system.....i have an E8600 OC 4.0Ghz

It is a nice system.....but no reason to buy 775 if you are building from scratch, unless you just dont have the cash for anything else, because you will be limited when upgrading....as I am there now, as far as cpus go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom