Building a Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icedragon

In Runtime
I am building a server for my father soon, and I need to know a few things. Are there any sites that deal specifically with server hardware? What are the major differences and advantages/disadvantages between dual Pentium 4s or Dual Xeons? I need a mother board that supports SCSI drives and can have RAID 5 configuration.

BTW: I dont know the budget I dont need a top of the line server, more mid-range server is more aht he wants.

Thank You

I am not an expert in the server world but there are considerations as to type of memory(more expense for correct type), in general you may require additional memory to insure the load is cared for. I would first define the specifications and then research Intel for the motherboard you propose to use. They have motherboards for building servers. One other source is Dell, I know of a business that uses Dell servers and have no problems. At least I have given you something to think about, hope it helps in your decision making.

Well he wants to biuld his own, he currently has a Dell server but its getting too slow and he needs a new one. Do you at least know of a good server mobo Manufacturer?

I would start the building process by picking your processer(s).

I recommend either Dual Xeons or Dual AMD Opterons. Both have more than one motherboard avaliable and I'm sure you can choose to what best suites your needs.

Best thing I could find for you:

Chart of Dual CPUS

Note: Remember that AMD has a different archetechure. So although the amounts may very, It could be just like the XPs and 64s from AMD. I'm not that well educated on the server stuff :(

I would go with dual Xeons probaly. You're also best off with SCSI harddrives, which are really good but also really expensive. The more RAM the better. I have seen configs with 5GB+. Also be sure to get a redundant power supply as servers are known to take up huge chunks of power. If you can run two power supplies, you should be fine.

If you could give us more information on what this server is going to be used for, we may be able to give you a little more help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom