Power outage Fried MOBO and PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.

siddanth3

In Runtime
Hi guys. about 2 weeks ago i upgraded certain components on my current rig with the new E5400, Corsair 550 VX, Gskill 2x2gb DDr2 800 and an HD 4850. The mobo was the same one i had on my rig.

So about a week ago, we had a power outage, which fried my new Corsair 550 VX. I replace the PSU with my old one, and it boots up. nothing is on the screen, and 10 seconds later, it shuts down automatically. i tried doing this numerous times unplugging everything, but still same result. it shuts down after about 10 seconds.

So did my motherboard fry??

The reason i ask is because, all the new parts i bought like the E5400, DDR2 2x2gb, was because i had that old motherboard. If i didn't have that motherboard, i would have just upgraded to a new socket and built a entirely new computer with the i3's or i5's.

what should i do? do you think the mobo is dead? and if it is, should i just get a socket775 mobo, or try to return the new parts that i bought 2 weeks ago to newegg, and build a different system from scratch.

i know i am asking a lot of question,
any help would be really appreciated.

thanks,,

I'd say perhaps the old PSU just isn't coping with the upgraded system. If you could borrow a better PSU to test with you could prove whether this is the case or not. If it is then replacing the PSU will be necessary either way. If you can return the parts and have the money to get an i3 or i5 system it will probably be worth it.

If I were you, I'd return the parts and build an i3 - 530 system or i5 - 750 system.
(If you want to stay Intel.)
My personal preference would be AM3.
Thuban's just around the corner.

I'd say perhaps the old PSU just isn't coping with the upgraded system. If you could borrow a better PSU to test with you could prove whether this is the case or not. If it is then replacing the PSU will be necessary either way. If you can return the parts and have the money to get an i3 or i5 system it will probably be worth it.

well, as i said, the new one died a week ago so i put the old one back. the old one is perfectly running fine, but it shuts down in 10 secs. so i am thinking the mobo died or something.

does newegg refund RAM and CPU that have been opened? i have just had it for not even 2 weeks. any one know anything about this.

so if i were to build a budget intel or am3 build, what parts should i use. any suggeestions would be helpfull. all i need is cpu, ram, mobo.

thanks.

I had a quick check on the newegg return policy and it seems they will refund most things within 30 days, so if i were you i would hot tail your *** up the post office. I don't think it would be your psu anyway since fortron are usually pretty good, but then again it is old. As muffin said you can replace the psu and see if thats the problem, i would also try reseting the cmos, sometimes when replacing components the bios settings are not correctly set to defaults. The only other thing to do is to take out parts one at a time until you are only left with the basic components to see of you can source the problem.

Now, since i would rec. returning those parts, you would want to think about investing in a am3 build, the i5's are not a good price point to work with when the amd counterparts offer such good performance.

depending on budget something like this.

Amd X4 955
Amd 770 chipset Motherboard - gigbayte ud3 is good
and a nice set of ddr1333 with nice timings or 1600

shouldn't hit the bank too hard

think about investing in a am3 build, the i5's are not a good price point to work with when the amd counterparts offer such good performance.

depending on budget something like this.

Amd X4 955
Amd 770 chipset Motherboard - gigbayte ud3 is good
and a nice set of ddr1333 with nice timings or 1600

shouldn't hit the bank too hard

i also bought a hd 4850, should i return that too or should i keep that. i contacted newegg, and they said they are gonna replace the psu.

they said they will give me a refund on the cpu and the ram which totaled about 150$, but they are gonna make me pay to ship it back to them, and are also charging me $25 restocking fee.

i am leaning toward an am3 build too. hopefully others will suggest some more builds for me. :)

Newegg.com - HIS H577FM1GD Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

24 hr special on a 1Gb 5770
If you don't get your hands on that one though, I highly recommend this one.

Newegg.com - ASUS CuCore Series EAH5770 CuCore/2DI/1GD5 Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
I'd recommend this combo for the Sata 6Gb/s and the USB 3.0 motherboard.

And...
Decent 4Gb kits of DDR3 are kind of expensive right now.
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ - Desktop Memory

That's the cheapest fairly decent kit I could find on Newegg, timings/frequency considered.

ZipZoomFly has some DDR3 4Gb kits listed for $70 and less, but they're out of stock.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you're not looking to drop too much money, consider the Phenom II X2's, Athlon II X2's, X3's, X4's, 770 motherboards, the 780L motherboard from Asus, and combo deals including 785G motherboards. If you want brand spanking new stuff though, and you're willing to put down a little extra money... Get an 890 motherboard! :D They're not too bad pricewise, considering all the cool stuff they come with >:D

so i should return the HD4850 too?? i thought it was a good card, and i got it for 99$. the restocking fee is gonna be about 45$ if i sent everything back+plus i would have to pay for shipping.

to buy new mobo, cpu, and ram, i'll wait till next week for pay day. I have never been an amd fan, but i think i might like it a lot :p

If all your problems began with the power outage, then I don't see how anything inside your case besides the power supply could be bad.
If it was more than a power outage, like a lightening strike, then it could jump all sorts of places. But going off what you said, I'd say the PSU is the problem. It is very possible for a damaged PSU to boot a computer and then shut down after 10 minutes. PSU are the best surge-suppressors there are, so it's "unlikely" anything passed the PSU to fry anything else. Since PSUs have several parts that condition voltage and amperage, and voltage regulators on computers are very stingy, it is quite possible that as the PSU heats up, the power fails the regulator requirements and it shuts down.
Just my take on it. Anything else is possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom