Budget General Use Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

psulifter

Solid State Member
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum but have built myself a couple gaming rigs. So my parents have asked me to build them something to replace their old Intel Pent 4 system. I'm not really update on budget parts so I was hoping you guys could help me come up with a decent build. Looking to spend 250-325. Used mostly for web, email, photos so on-board graphics will work. Also would like to stay with Intel preferably (had the only AMD CPU I ordered arrive DOA) **Edit just doing a newegg search it appears AMD is the way to go right now for the best bang for you buck so I guess I could use AMD.

I already have monitor, mouse, keyboard, OS and can reuse DVD drive if necessary.

It's unfortunate that your first AMD cpu arrived DOA, however AMD cpus are just as reliable as intel; and currently, AMD has the upper hand in the low-end market. Here's one build that comes close to your budget...

Newegg.com - AZZA Orion 202 black/black SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases (free shipping + $20 mail in rebate)
Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD253GJ 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Newegg.com - BIOSTAR A785G3 AM3 AMD 785G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards
Newegg.com - SPARKLE ATX-350PN-B204 350W ATX 12V 2.0 Power Supply - Power Supplies
Newegg.com - Crucial Ballistix 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model BL2KIT25664BN1608 - Desktop Memory
Newegg.com - AMD Athlon II X2 240 Regor 2.8GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

total: $336.94 + 10.79 shipping = $347.73 - $20 mail in rebate = $327.74.

It comes pretty close to your budget but only after you count the mail-in rebate. And you'll also need to reuse your DVD drive...

Thanks man that build looks pretty solid. My only thought is maybe going with 2 gb of RAM and get little better processor. I always figure that i can throw some RAM in later anytime easily, and fairly cheap. Also Idk even know if they would need 4 gigs of RAM, they dont really do anything that requires to much RAM.

orihS ‪‪‪Shiro;1780534 said:
The processor is fine unless you're thinking of going with a triple or quad core Athlon.

You can overclock a Regor 240 to 3.5Ghz 24/7 without too much of a fuss.

Alright cool I didnt realize it could be overclocked that much. ... Just on a side note though how are the AMD triple cores? I was curios about them in the past, one of my buddies was telling how he unlocked a triple into a quad?

Yeah, the triples have a possibility of unlocking to a quad.
Their performance is greater than a dual core for multi threaded applications, but their performance is slightly less than a quad's.
I mean, it's pretty much where you would expect it.
Between the performance of a dual and a quad.
You just need a motherboard with south bridge 710 or 750 to unlock cores.

Hmm alright, I'm going to look and see if I can put a build together using the triple core. If I get one in my price range ill post it to make sure everything is good. Which one of the triple cores would you guys recommend?

Newegg.com - AMD Athlon II X3 425 Rana 2.7GHz 3 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

That's the cheapest triple core.

The others are just the same thing with higher clock speeds, and given that they all overclock about the same it wouldn't really matter.

Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition Heka 2.8GHz 3 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

That's the best and one of the cheapest Phenom II triple cores.

just know, it's not a guarantee that it will unlock and not every mobo will work to do this.

if you do get lucky, that's great, but i'm just saying that you shouldn't be expecting to get more than what you paid for.

Well after checking out the triple cores I decided to go with aliasaid's build. I am just going with this case and this PSU. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom