What is the most powerful gpu this dell can handle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Druid

Fully Optimized
It's a XPS 600, so it has:

PD 3.2 GHz
2 GB Ram (3 really but OS only reads 2 due to channeling)
650 Watt psu

The psu isn't a problem obviously. Since the system's mobo does support sli, and could have been customized with sli 7800 gtx's, it is obviously good in this department. When we got it 4 years ago, we only when with a 6800 which was quite week for the cpu.

If I were to upgrade it just because, what would be the best thing it wouldn't bottleneck. I've been googling and been seeing some different stuff. Could it really handle a 5770?

It could handle any GPU with that PSU.
Does it have PCI-E 16x 1.0 or 2.0?

If it's 1.0 a 5870 would be limited like 99% on it I think.
A 5850 probably would run at 99%~ capacity
A 5770 would probably run at full capacity just fine.
So if you upgraded and you only have PCI-E 1.0 a brand new series card would only be limited at max like 5%
And would be an amazing improvement over your 6800 none the less.
I'd recommend going with a 5770 personally to save some cash and still get amazing gains.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_5870_PCI-Express_Scaling/25.html

PCI-E 16x 1.0 is the same as PCI-E 8x 2.0
Bandwidth wise

Maybe I'll just wait on it then. I made a custom built pc for them that they got in the basement. In like a year or something, maybe I'll upgrade the gpu on that one and then just slide the 260 down to this other comp.

^even then it has to be able to supply enough amperage. Depending on the gfx card you get, it might not be able to handle it in that regard.

Most likely the psu doesn't have a pci-e plug either, so expect to lose 2 4 pin connections.

If it was a system made to handle SLI 7800's it has two PCI-E connectors.

And SLI 7800's take about 150 watts.

He should be good to run a modern single GPU that isn't extremely demanding.
5770 would run just fine.

[Edit]
Confirmed the 7800's used a 6 pin connector.
My guess is that since it's OEM but it could be customized with 7800's in SLI...
It probably has two 4 pin + 2 connectors or a single 4 pin + 2 connector and a 6 pin connector.
If OP would open up his case and look at the connectors he could just tell us.
[/Edit]

Either way I'd bet $100 OP's PSU can handle a 5770

I can't open it up. I'm at college and its at home. I just got curious. Maybe in the summer I'll put something in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom