ssd recommendation between 2 choices

Status
Not open for further replies.

eagle5968

In Runtime
hey...im building a new system and trying to figure out which route i should go for SSD
im gonna use ssd only for windows and certain apps
rest of my programs are going to wd blacks in raid 0
my choices are either
X25-M 80gb
or 2x vertex turbos 30gb in raid 0
price difference = buying 2x vertex turbos is $10 more than the x-25m

what about using programs like diskeeper2010
would that help in place of trim
if i am able to maintain the ssd i would like to go route with more performance

TRIM doesn't just increase performance, but increases the lifespan of the drive because writes take from the overall hours of lifespan.

You will not get 2x the performance in RAID. You'll get more performance, but that will be negated once all the blocks on the drives have been written to. At that point you will have to perform manual optimization to "clean" the drives. Some of these optimization tools won't work with the drives in RAID. IMHO, at this point, RAID is not a practical solution for SSD drives.

Diskeeper is a defragging tool and SSDs don't require defragging at all. Also, you will want to have Win7 for an SSD as it will recognize the drive as an SSD and disable automatic defragging for the drive. It's not a necessity, but it's certainly the best choice OS for an SSD.

Intel 40gb, love mine and its got just enough room.

Newegg.com - Intel X25-V SSDSA2MP040G2R5 2.5" 40GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - SSD

I'm not sure if you can boot from RAID 0 SSDs with all motherboards. So if you do go that route I'd look into that.
The intel is good for reads but it has slow write speeds, if your going to invest in a ssd imo its worth getting one that excels in both departments, after all thats what makes ssd's so good.

The intel is good for reads but it has slow write speeds, if your going to invest in a ssd imo its worth getting one that excels in both departments, after all thats what makes ssd's so good.
Intels don't have slow writes. They are a little slower at sequential write speeds than the Indilinx drives, but make up for it and more with random write speeds. The random write speeds of Intel drives are where they excel and that is what justifies a little higher price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom