looking to get a new cpu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Light45

Baseband Member
alright well its time i get a new cpu i curently have a
AMD Athlon LE-1640 its a 2.7ghz and single core:-( and my mother board is
ASUS M3A76-CM
Newegg.com - ASUS M3A76-CM AM2+/AM2 AMD 760G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards
the motherboards user manual says that this board supports multi-core processors and up to 125w so the question i have and hope anyone could give me an answer will my board be able to support a quad-core processor this is the cpu that i would like to get and its also a socket am2+

Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition Deneb 3.0GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

so would i be able to use this cpu on my board

light45

am3 is backwards compatible and it is on the cpu support list for your board. requires bios ver 1105 depending upon version.

Phenom IIX4 955 (HDX955FBK4DGI),3.2GHz,125W,rev.C2,SocketAM3,Quad-Core 1.00G

Phenom IIX4 955 (HDX955FBK4DGM),3.2GHz,125W,rev.C3,SocketAM3,Quad-Core 1.00G

Phenom IIX4 955 (HDZ955FBK4DGI),3.2GHz,125W,rev.C2,SocketAM3,Quad-Core ALL

Phenom IIX4 955 (HDZ955FBK4DGM),3.2GHz,125W,rev.C3,SocketAM3,Quad-Core ALL

i was looking at new mobo and i was wondering if this would be a good one to get i would like to have cross fire eventualy and this board will let me do it and it also has am2+/am3 cpu

Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TA790GXE 128M AM2+/AM3 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

If I were you, I wouldn't upgrade without just going AM3.

Wait and save your money until you can afford new RAM + new motherboard.
For now, you could just buy an AM3 CPU and wait to do a larger upgrade later.

Upgrading your motherboard without moving to DDR3 and AM3 doesn't seem worth it to me.

And you'd be stuck with DDR2/AM2+ using an AM3 CPU until you finally did upgrade in the future...
Your AM3 CPU would be bottlenecked for even longer if you upgrade the motherboard without going AM3.

[ Just to clarify what I'm talking about... ]

AM2+/AM3 motherboards only take DDR2 RAM
AM3 motherboards only take DDR3 RAM

AM3 CPU's can work in either motherboard though, because AM3 CPUs have both a DDR2 memory controller and a DDR3 memory controller.
Though you could consider running an AM3 CPU with DDR2 RAM as a memory bottleneck.

[EDIT]
Luckily I just found this article...
http://www.techspot.com/news/36314-amd-confirms-hexacore-desktop-chip-thuban.html

So I guess Phenom II X6 will be backwards compatible...
So AM2+ will survive for a while longer I suppose lol.

orihS ‪‪‪Shiro;1780571 said:
If I were you, I wouldn't upgrade without just going AM3.

Wait and save your money until you can afford new RAM + new motherboard.
For now, you could just buy an AM3 CPU and wait to do a larger upgrade later.

Upgrading your motherboard without moving to DDR3 and AM3 doesn't seem worth it to me.

And you'd be stuck with DDR2/AM2+ using an AM3 CPU until you finally did upgrade in the future...
Your AM3 CPU would be bottlenecked for even longer if you upgrade the motherboard without going AM3.

[ Just to clarify what I'm talking about... ]

AM2+/AM3 motherboards only take DDR2 RAM
AM3 motherboards only take DDR3 RAM

AM3 CPU's can work in either motherboard though, because AM3 CPUs have both a DDR2 memory controller and a DDR3 memory controller.
Though you could consider running an AM3 CPU with DDR2 RAM as a memory bottleneck.

[EDIT]
Luckily I just found this article...
AMD confirms hexa-core desktop chip, Thuban - TechSpot News

So I guess Phenom II X6 will be backwards compatible...
So AM2+ will survive for a while longer I suppose lol.

money is not a problem but i think i have found what i want but if anyone could find it anywhere else cheeper it would be appreciated
mobo
Newegg.com - ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards
cpu
Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

and yes i will also get some ram but i can buy that in a store the mobo and cpu i would get online if i can find the right deal, also if anyone finds an ohter mobo let me know at a reasonable price and it also has to support crossfire and amd am3 cpu

If you're going to drop $120~ on a motherboard I suggest waiting a little bit and buying an 8XX series chipset motherboard as the 890GX just released this past week and is only $150 right now.

Those motherboards are Niiiiiiiiice.
If I were you, I'd go 890GX or whatever 8XX chipset motherboard is around the corner for your price range.
I'd say it's only a matter of a couple weeks or so for a $120 8XX chipset motherboard to release.

AMD 890GX Chipset Review - Page 1 - Introduction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom