Random reboot & keyboard trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenrisulfr

Beta member
Quite the odd combination. The computer randomly restarted itself when I ran Grand Ages - Rome with Firefox in the background. I am sure it is not a CPU issue as the case was open and the apartment was cool. Now that it restarted, I cannot type in my BIOS password! I tried every combination of unplugging/plugging the keyboard and rebooting and it still will not input. The keyboard is still working properly as I am typing with it on my laptop, so I am not sure what would cause this problem. Attached is a photograph of the screen where it prompts for the password; maybe it may give a clue as to what happened:

dsc01596t.jpg

Thanks for the help with this matter.

First:
Try resetting your BIOS.

On old motherboards.
(Unplug your CMOS battery, wait a minute... plug it back in.)

On newer motherboards you can use a jumper or push a button to reset the BIOS.

That should get your keyboard working again, otherwise you probably have a dead/broken hardware problem.

If resetting your BIOS doesn't work... The section below probably applies.

Open your case and get a good sniff, if it smells like burnt plastic or fried electronics... Then my money's on dead mobo, possibly caused by old age, or by a faulty PSU frying everything.

Take out the cmos battery and wait about a minute, plug it back in and start the computer again.
If you somehow manage to get into bios make sure the bios option for password protection is off and greyed out.
Look at your time in bios to make sure it is correct, if you log bavk in to your bios and it has the wrong time again, you might want to get that battery replcaed.
As that can cause some bios problems to occur especially with bios relocking the computer up again.

Thank you for the replies. I disconnected the PSU from the motherboard, waited 5 minutes, and things worked. The only problem was that the computer thought it was 1 Jan 2005, and Firefox keeps bugging me about certificates or something.

Just set back the current date, if it persists though then you CMOS is on the verge of dying maybe. Also not sure about the certificates on Firefox, are they random or happens on certain sites or just comes up as Firefox opens or something different?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom