Video card problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

BledForRed

Beta member
I have an eMachines T3120 desktop, it has an onboard video card. A nVidia GeForce 6100 GPU. About a week ago the screen turned blue, a blue tint appeared to be more specific. I googled it, and found that this was a common problem among eMachines. And that there could be several things causing this. I tried all of those that seemed like easy fixes(faulty cable and such) and figured that those weren't the problem/s. So, I bought a cheap video card (PNY VCG8600GXXB GeForce 8600 GT 256MB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card) and plugged it into the available PCI-E slot. Once I put it in I found out that the video card was DVI and I really didn't know what the **** DVI was. Googled it, and then googled DVI to VGA adapter. I got one, and tried it but the monitor showed no signal.

I looked around again, it said that I have to disable to onboard videocard. I did just that, took out the card, put it back in and turned it on. Oh, I might as well say that I downloaded the latest drivers when I got the video card. I installed, and then went on to the nVidia website and downloaded the drivers. Alright, so I disabled the videocard and still nothing. I check the device manager it doesn't seem to be recognizing that there is another videocard present. It only has the 6100, not the 8600.

Note: When I got it, I made a couple of mistakes that kind of worked, I guess. First when I got the videocard, I just installed the drivers, plugged in the monitor cable to the old slot and for some odd reason the colors came back. Which was weird, then an hour or so later it came back to this blue tint. I installed the drivers again, not knowing what to do and.... the colors are back! yay! Short term. Blue tint is back, then... I did what I have said at paragraph 2.

Two questions comes from all this I guess. How the do I troubleshoot the old video card? If not, then how could I get my new one to work? And sorry for the really long paragraphs, I... tend to type a lot...

When you disabled the onboard video you did so from the bios yes? not the device manager in windows. Make sure there is no other option in the bios such as use only onboard video or something like that. If possible, some bios have a drop down menu selecting which video to use (Pci, Pcie, Onboard, etc.) Try to enable the correct slot for the video and make sure the video card is what is hooked up ;)

I couldn't disable it. It doesn't show an option to disable the videocard. So my best guess is that it should automatically recognize the new video card. It doesn't seem to be recognizing it. Under the Display Adapters in the Device Manager it didn't show it. I just realized that a little while ago.

It wont show up under device manager if your still using the integrated graphics, somehow the integrated has to be disabled but it there isnt an option in the bios then i forget how to do that.

sorry i just woke up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom