Gaming monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeyondHatred

Solid State Member
Hello, I currently have a standard dell monitor that came with my xps about 3 years ago and I was wondering if I would notice a difference if Iupgraded to a newer larger monitor. The monitor I currently have is a dell SE198WFP 19-inch Wide-screen Flat Panel LCD Monitor with a 1000:1 contrast ratio, 300 cd/m² brightness, resolution of up to 1440x900 pixels, and a response time of 5 ms. Would upgrading to something like this Samsung SyncMaster P2450H 24" Monitor 1920x1080 2ms 70,000:1 (Dynamic) VGA/DVI/HDMI Glossy Black - 3yr Warranty - Ebuyer be noticeably better? I mainly play newer high end games mostly FPS.

You would notice an increase in screen real estate(higher resolution + 24" vs 19") and a near tremendous increase in overall quality.
As your pixels per inch will go through the roof.
The P2450H has a pixel pitch of .265 versus the .285 of your 19 inch. (Smaller is better)
.282 is generally considered the line for great quality for a 24" monitor.
Anything lower has outrageous clarity generally.

However you would also notice your aspect ratio change, as your 19 inch monitor is 16:10 and the 24" is 16:9

16:10 is considered golden for gaming
16:9 is considered good for watching movies

Overall, if I were you, I would decide on getting the better monitor only after finding out if my graphics card could handle it's native resolution for all the games I played.

For an even better improvement monitor wise shoot for a *VA panel or IPS panel (NOT E-IPS)
Though you will spend a bit more... There's nothing quite like going from an old CRT or TN panel to a nice MVA, H-IPS, S-PVA, S-IPS panel.

TN Panels
Pros: Fast response time, Cheaper
Cons: 6 bit color, cruddy viewing angles and color reproduction, overall worse image quality

All other panels (Excluding E-IPS)
Pros: Better quality, great viewing angles, full 8 bit color (or in the case of the HP Dreamcolor monitor 30 bit color)
Cons: Slower response times? (5ms vs 8ms usually is the difference, not that big of a deal tbqh) More expensive

My graphix card is an 8800gtx, would the difference in price between the monitor I linked and the one you suggested be worth it? seems like a big price jump.

My graphix card is an 8800gtx, would the difference in price between the monitor I linked and the one you suggested be worth it? seems like a big price jump.

The one in your post is higher quality than the ASUS monitor he suggested.
Though the ASUS monitor he suggested is larger and has a larger resolution.
Only switch if you want a bigger screen without taking quality into account.
If you take quality into account, stick with the screen you picked out.
It's a good monitor.

I'm going to go with the one I linked but I can't find it on newegg or the samsung website, and ebuyer.com sucks. Where could I get it from?

TN panels are not cruddy as you say. I've seen them both, uncle has a IPS (forget which model, haven't been there in a couple months) and I can't tell the difference between it and my Samsung 2343. My wallet can though, his was $399 and mine was $189 with free shipping. IPS might be good if your doing lots of design work or something where colour is super important, although you'd need an expensive printer to match. He's an astronomer and has a bunch of telescopes in the states that he uses to stream images to his computer.

TBH just go with a good brand (Samsung is my new favourite) and price. It's a computer monitor, you're gonna be sitting 1-3 feet in front of it, what does viewing angle matter anyways?

TN panels are not cruddy as you say. I've seen them both, uncle has a IPS (forget which model, haven't been there in a couple months) and I can't tell the difference between it and my Samsung 2343. My wallet can though, his was $399 and mine was $189 with free shipping. IPS might be good if your doing lots of design work or something where colour is super important, although you'd need an expensive printer to match. He's an astronomer and has a bunch of telescopes in the states that he uses to stream images to his computer.

TBH just go with a good brand (Samsung is my new favourite) and price. It's a computer monitor, you're gonna be sitting 1-3 feet in front of it, what does viewing angle matter anyways?

You need to see some Acer monitors side by side with some decent IPS panels from either HP or Dell.
You'd **** yourself.

Also.
LCD monitor test images

Not all monitors are created equal.

Not being able to tell the difference between a TN and an IPS is like not being able to tell the difference between a Jaguar and a Honda Civic.
Sure, they're both cars.
Yes, they can get you to the same places.
But one is DEFINITELY nicer than the other.

Odds are, either your uncle has an early IPS or an E-IPS.
E-IPS is basically a TN panel in disguise.

Or it could be your Samsung 2343BWX? Correct? Monitor is just very nice.
I checked it out.
It has amazing pixel pitch.
I bet the clarity on that is amazing.

This image has 4 shades of red.
A cruddy TN wouldn't be able to display the difference.
I'm on an H-IPS panel right now, and I can see them all.
How about you?
Without using color distortion/viewing angle differentiation to make them more obvious.

Ebuyer.com has pretty much no customer support so i'm not keen on buying the monitor from them but if it came down to it i guess i could, are there any similar monitors that are close in price and quality that i can get from a more reliable website?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom