build question...e760 or e758?? also question about RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

eagle5968

In Runtime
i'm planning to build a nice rig
right now i'm not really sure which mobo to get.....this was my plan so far
go water cooling on the i7 920 and get the ek full cover block on the e760
XFX 5870 XXX version ( im thinking about leaving this air cooled??....not sure if i should be going crossfire in future because i am reading poor drivers and it is unstable??)
x25 M 80gb
2x wd black 750gb in raid 0
750 watt corsair
800D obsidian
i wanna get a fan controller as well prob NZXT Sentry-2
Which Ram should i get 1600 or 2000??
for my setup should i stay with the e760 or go e758? ...... did some research on the board and many ppl say e760 is for extreme cooling...what is "extreme"?
is there a full cover block for the e758?
do i even need to water cool the 758?
input appreciated...thanks

Here is an example of Extreme Cooling.
http://www.techist.com/forums/f10/operation-superpi-phase-change-211659/

I did all of that with the e758 which I burnt up at 4.949GHz. I did replace that mobo with a e760 but you can see that the e758 has plently of overclocking potential. For my regular 24/7 overclock the e758 performed just as well as the e760.

For the memory 1600MHz is the sweet spot for most users. 2000MHz usually requires more volts and this can really heat up the mobo's mosfets (voltage regulator) so extra cooling is recommended.

Overclocks up to 4GHz - 4.3GHz can be achieved by an experienced user with a Good Air-Cooling Setup. These same overclocks can be achieved by a novice but it can take a lot of time. Water-Cooling will help you keep your system cooler which promotes system stability and it can help you with a good overclock. But nothing is a guarantee, a lot of people with water cooling still can't match me :D

Read this guide, it will give you some knowledge, I hope :D
http://www.techist.com/forums/f10/i7-overclocking-guide-224693/

Get the e78 imo. The classified is a waste of money if you aren't going to be doing some heavy overclocking. The e760 and e758 are mostly overclocking boards, there isn't much point in buying them if you aren't going to do that. It's why they're more expensive, better capacitors, better voltage regulation. I'd suggest getting an asus, Newegg.com - ASUS P6X58D Premium LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards as its got SATA 6gbs and USB 3.0. It also should handle lower level overclocking quite well.

Also don't get a XXX version card, just buy the normal one, save some cash, and overclock it. I'd also suggest getting the 640gb WD blacks, as the 750 are dual platter (AFIAK, don't quote me) which might be a bit slower.

Also have you built a pc before? Water cooling is very expensive and can potentially cause a lot of harm if you don't know what your doing. Going with air is cheaper and almost as good now with a nice heatsink, TRUE copper or the megahalems seem to be popular now. Or there's the core contact, cheap and works great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom