Trying to get stable OC @ 4.2 Then 4.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

viceruetoy

Solid State Member
I am currently trying to get stable at 4.5 Ghz . When I am at 4.2 I do not run into any problems with Prime95 but when I use Linix I do. I know im not over heating because my highet core is 69c. Im not sure if I am missing csomething or not I have tried increasing all Volts and decreasing all Volts Im not sure what else to do. Any help would be very appreciated. Ive read SlayMates guide aswell, but I am still having problems getting the settings right.

Intel i7-920 D0
OCZ Gold 6GB 1600Mhz 8-8-8-24-74
Evga E-758 X58
Bios Settings
VDroop Control- Without VDroop
CPU VCore- 1.4V
CPU VTT- +300mV
CPU PLL- Auto
DIMM VOltage- 1.65
DIMM DQ Vref- +0mV
QPI PLL VCore- 1.4V
IOH VCore- 1.4V
IOH/ICH/I/O Voltage-1.65V
ICH VCore-1.25V

Ive gotten an error message from Linx at around 16 Seconds and it stops test and also I have gotten BSOD at around 5 seconds with error
0x000001A
WDF01000

I dont see how it could be a voltage problem because they are relativly high and I could go higher, but I dont think thatwould be the issue unless I was going for 4.5, which I am but I am trying to get stable at 4.2 first.

That error code is for a memory management error.

Verify that your DIMM Voltage is at 1.65v. Just because you have it set to 1.65v doesn't mean that's the actual value. It could be 1.63v (an example). Try 1.6v or 1.7v.

Your CPU VTT is at +300mV, what kind of temps are you getting for your Vreg? This value may need to be adjusted.

Try relaxing your memory latencies, maybe, 9-9-9-28-78

Lastly, how are you cooling your system? Not everyone can hit 4.2GHz on air or water, with full stability. Extra steps may need to be taken, as in, lapping both your heatsink and cpu, replacing the stock Northbridge fan with a higher cfm fan, adding a fan to cool off the mosfet/Vreg heatsink (located to the left of the socket, it has no fan).

Alright thanks slay, I actually found out that the prob with my mempry was that one stick is bad. Does having more memory help with overclocking? and if I had to choose again what memory should I get Corsair or Mushkin? cause I heard that x58 the OCZ doesnt go to wel with it.
I have lapped my CPU and heatsink I am using Thermalirhgt Black and have 8 fans in my case although my heatsink is thoughting the evga heatsink which I dont know if that might cause a problem.

You want to run your memory in a 3 stick configuration for your best overclocking potential. Populating all the memory slots makes the Memory Controller work harder, which can reduce your overclock.

I'm using OCZ memory in both of my i7 machines. I have a 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 1600 OCZ Platinum in my Office Workstation and a 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 2000 OCZ Blades in my Gamer.

Looking at what's in stock at Newegg I would buy this and run it at 1600 MHz with 7-7-7-24-54 1T timings for normal use and have plently of headroom for those shorter runs at excessive speeds.
Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000) Desktop Memory Model F3-16000CL9T-6GBRH - Desktop Memory

But if they had these in stock I would go with them instead.
Newegg.com - Mushkin Enhanced Redline 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000) Desktop Memory Model 998750 - Desktop Memory

And you need to check your heatsink attachment and get it off of the NB heatsink. Close is ok, touching it is not ok. And not to burst your bubble, I wish you the best of luck, but your not going to get to 4.5GHz stable for everyday use with a True. With water maybe, but you should be able to run it at 4.5GHz for a short period of time, like a SuperPI 1M run :D

Take the fans off the heatsink and then loosen the retention bracket. You should be able to move it up a little. Re-tighten the retention bracket and re-install the fans.

When I 1st setup my system the heatsink was touching the NB heatsink and it was causing my core temps to rise a few degrees. When your shooting for a maximum overclock every degree counts.

As for the 1600MHz memory. It will work fine, but at different BLCK settings you'll have to run at slower memory speeds to stay in spec's. That's why I suggested the DDR3 2000, it just gives you a little extra headroom and at a slower speed you should be able to run at tighter latencies than a regular set of DDR3 1600 will.

Also, you want to stay away from memory with tall heatspreaders. If your wanting a high overclock you don't want to eliminate the possibility of using a 120mm x 38mm fan. And a 120mm x 38mm fan will hang over the memory slots causing clearance issues with tall heatspreaders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom