My First Build - Need some advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
That combo would be a downgrade. Keep the 5750.

The increase in price to going i7 is proportional to performance so it depends how far along you are in your budget.

edit: I just noticed that your motherboard is microATX, is that what you were going for? I'm going to guess no since you got a pretty big case. Here's a combo with in i7 and a motherboard:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.332525

Does that make you go over budget?

That combo would be a downgrade. Keep the 5750.

The increase in price to going i7 is proportional to performance so it depends how far along you are in your budget.

edit: I just noticed that your motherboard is microATX, is that what you were going for? I'm going to guess no since you got a pretty big case. Here's a combo with in i7 and a motherboard:

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

Does that make you go over budget?

Considering all the other things I would have to change, yes it probably does..

Because wouldn't I need different memory, etc..

Would this be a good GFX card:

Newegg.com - XFX HD-477A-YDFC Radeon HD 4770 512MB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

And what do you mean about my mobo?

The 4770 isn't bad, but the 5750 is better and there's isn't really much difference in price. Have a look at the graphics performance list: http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/graphics-performance-list-212331/

If you go i7 with the socket 1156 then you will still use the same ram since this socket supports dual channel and not triple channel. If you had gone to socket 1366 then you would've had good reason to get more ram (6gb) to utilize triple channel. So with the combo i suggested you wouldn't change anything else.

I said your motherboard is microATX, meaning its a smaller form factor meant to fit into small cases. It'll still be compatible with your case, but having a bigger motherboard means you'll have more slots and everything will be roomier. The motherboard i suggested in the combo doesn't have an integrated chipset if you needed one... but you're getting a separate video card so you shouldn't need it...

Thanks guys, sorry for not including the price, etc.. I didn't want to double post :/

Well, I would like to keep the price under $1000 if possible and I will be using it for some gaming like Team Fortress 2, maybe some WoW. And also a lot of graphic design, photoshop, illustrator, etc..

I think I'll go with this GFX card:
Newegg.com - XFX HD-575X-ZNFC Radeon HD 5750 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

And the combo looks great! And yup I'm getting the i5-750.

But the 1 review the PS has is bad, so shouldn't I go for a different one?

Thats the 5750 i'm talking about. Its better than both the 4770 and the 9800GTX+.

As for motherboard, look for one withe features you need (crossfire/SLI, USB 3.0, w/e you think you'll need one day, but obviously you'll pay more for more features), here's a basic, decent board:

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-P55-USB3 LGA 1156 Intel P55 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

As for DVD drive, any drive out there will be good. Blu-ray is also an option, but its not necessary right now (its also expensive).

Newegg.com - Sony Optiarc Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD/CD Rewritable Drive - CD / DVD Burners

or if you want lightscribe (which i've never used..) something like this:

Newegg.com - Sony Optiarc Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 2MB Cache SATA DVD Burner with LightScribe LightScribe Support - CD / DVD Burners

There's nothing wrong with micro ATX...
The difference between ATX and micro ATX?
ATX has more PCI slots...
Like you'd really need them?
micro ATX is a lot cheaper, for essentially the same board.
Don't be so bias because of the word "micro"

Thats the 5750 i'm talking about. Its better than both the 4770 and the 9800GTX+.

As for motherboard, look for one withe features you need (crossfire/SLI, USB 3.0, w/e you think you'll need one day, but obviously you'll pay more for more features), here's a basic, decent board:

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-P55-USB3 LGA 1156 Intel P55 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

As for DVD drive, any drive out there will be good. Blu-ray is also an option, but its not necessary right now (its also expensive).

Newegg.com - Sony Optiarc Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD/CD Rewritable Drive - CD / DVD Burners

or if you want lightscribe (which i've never used..) something like this:

Newegg.com - Sony Optiarc Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 2MB Cache SATA DVD Burner with LightScribe LightScribe Support - CD / DVD Burners

5750 better than a 9800 GTX+?
Depends on the game.

orihS ‪‪‪Shiro;1780159 said:
There's nothing wrong with micro ATX...
The difference between ATX and micro ATX?
ATX has more PCI slots...
Like you'd really need them?
micro ATX is a lot cheaper, for essentially the same board.
Don't be so bias because of the word "micro"

5750 better than a 9800 GTX+?
Depends on the game.

I just didn't want a micro because he said it wouldn't fit as well, at least that's what I thought he meant.. But yeah I see what your saying, I might go with that microATX then. So what do I need to look for in a mobo, like slots, crossfire, etc..

Also, which GFX card would be better for Team Fortress 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom