Wiping my entire computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

McJake

Solid State Member
Is there a way to wipe out everything your computer has?

And if so, when everything is gone would I be able to download a free OS such as Ubuntu?

If there is any way to keep certain things while wiping out everything else this would be extremely helpful because I have a lot of graphic design things I would have to back up.

There is a program called Gparted live that would do want you want. GParted -- Live CD/USB/PXE/HD

What OS are you running right now? Everything on the hard drive that you wipe will be gone unless it is partitioned with the OS on one partition and the other stuff on the other partition.

I am guessing you only have one hard drive. You could put them on dvd's unless the files are real big.

If you want to use GParted there is a tutorial written up here. Will tell you everything you need to know.

There is a program called Gparted live that would do want you want. GParted -- Live CD/USB/PXE/HD

What OS are you running right now? Everything on the hard drive that you wipe will be gone unless it is partitioned with the OS on one partition and the other stuff on the other partition.

I am guessing you only have one hard drive. You could put them on dvd's unless the files are real big.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Well, when I get my new build I will consider doing this, I have Vista right now and I hate it...

If I installed Ubuntu as my OS would it ease everything?

Depends upon what you run. If you are a gamer you need Windows.

If not for internet and the myriad of open source programs written for Linux you will be just fine.

It also depends on if you know how to operate within Linux. It is not the same as Windows and not everything is plug and play. You might have to do a lot of searching to go something simple like program your mouse buttons.

I had to check to see if this was so you could sell the computer. If it had been, I would have recommended Boot&Nuke or KillDisk.

Since you are just looking to format to reinstall, use Mak's GParted tutorial. Very thorough and just what the doctor ordered. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom