Laptop - Keyboard and Mouse NOT working

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chirishboy

Beta member
Since I had some silly windows update about a year ago, I could not just shut the lid without the computer going to a black screen with no response. I learned to deal with it and not do it without expecting to have to manually hardboot and go through the "windows failed to shut down properly" scenario every time. <---- this is not the issue

After someone shut the lid and had this issue come up, the VISTA log in page came up as usual. BUT i could not use the mouse or tab over to enter into my log in...

After rebooting, it went to the "blue screen of death" that tries to restore the comp to a previous "happy place". I want to BUT i cant click YES!

I cannot attempt to reboot in safe mode. The board and mouse will not respond in dos/boot up either...

WTF??? Once I locate a USB keyboard I will attempt that route, but until then, please tell my WHY my computer(windows) is doing this to me.

That sounds like sleeping, not freezing. Just hit a key or press the power button, and it should power right up.

Did you try just pressing enter on the login screen?

if you cant use your keyboard in BIOS, your devices are dead. If you can't use your mouse/keyboard in Windows, there is a driver problem.

No its not just sleeping. Its a blank black screen, the "CPU light" is constantly on and it is jammed up so bad I HAVE to manually reboot to get it back to life...

Yes, I obviously tried hitting enter, tab, and ever other key on the board.

It is not working on the BIOS before windows even boots, so it MUST be a device issue? I just dont see how since it was just working before someone put it to "sleep" by shutting the lid...

Have you tried just a complete reinstall of Vista?

Might be a though, but before you do, get a ubuntu livecd, or any linux livecd and try booting to it to see if your hardware is bad.

I am attempting to get into windows to backup some info first before doing a reinstall/format if necessary.

I like the linux method tho, but since it will not even work in dos/bootup does that mean the hardware is bad??

Would the laptop recognize and use a USB keyboard/mouse if I just plug it in??

It should recognise it...

I'm unsure of what you mean by dos/bootup, dos requires drivers, and so does certain portions of bootup.

If you mean BIOS, then yha it is a good chance its dead. Last laptop i took apart, the touchpad and keyboard were 2 separate parts.

Good question! too bad I'm not quite certain the different between dos/bootup and BIOS...

I will try the USB keyboard/mouse when I get a chance and letcha know what transpires.

Never taken a laptop to pieces before but I am up for dissecting it if necessary!

Thanks fellas

I am having issues locating the drivers to reinstall after I deleted them after deleting...

I went to HP website to download them but they didnt have them...
Select software and drivers HP Pavilion dv2000 CTO Notebook PC - HP Customer Care (United States - English)

Anywhere else to Dl them? The computer says the Keyboard is working correctly, but the mouse "this device cannot start (code 10)"

What does that mean? ^^^^

Have not tried the linuxCD to see if they would work outside of windows yet... I can use peripherals via USB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom