Best way to apply thermal Paste?

Status
Not open for further replies.
But the heat is generated from the center. If you can draw it from the center quickly, it will run cooler.

Yes, the center is important. I'd say it is the most important. But some of the heat does spread thru-out the Heatspreader, that's why it's called a Heatspreader. So should we just forget about this heat that has wandered away from the center? I don't forget about anything when it comes to system cooling and maximum performance :D

Run LinX with Hardware Monitor, Real Temp or Core Temp running in the background and post a screenshot to prove those temps or they never happened.

LinX - http://www.youwatched.com/datajay/linx(0.64).7z
Hardware Monitor - CPUID
Real Temp - Real Temp - CPU temperature monitoring
Core Temp - Core Temp

You want the heatspreader to be almost fully covered, see my pic above.

After you attach the heatsink twist it a little, if possible. Then run the PC for a few minutes, turn it off and while it's still warm twist the heatsink again, if possible. This will help speed up the "curing process" so to speak.

Everytime the cpu heats up and cools down the paste will thin and thicken resulting in a small redistribution of the paste each time. Pastes like TX-2 will cure almost immediately, within the first 2 or 3 power on & off cycles. Pastes like Arctic Silver 5 won't fully cure until the PC has cycled on & off 10-20 times (or approximately 200 hours of on time).

I have nothing to prove to you, other than application is subjective. I did a test teardown, for the upgrades and paintjob I have coming up on Monday, but I put it back together just for you. I am a recently medically retired Army Veteran with nothing but the highest honors leaving(including The Purple Heart and ARCOMM with V device)(would you like a copy of all my citations as well or is my word good enough for you), and I have no reason to lie. Here are my idle temps, and as soon as my paste has burned in, I'll take load temps.

idle.jpg

Nice idle temps there. What was ambient?

Nothing to prove is is just we will get a lot of people saying how great their stuff is until it is time to show a screenshot. Like the guy boasting of a huge 3dmark score but just cannot come up with the proof.

Thanks alot for the screnie. Can not wait to see it loaded.

What does you rig get for a superpi 1M run? I would love to compare the 860 to some of the 920 scores at 4.2.
http://www.techist.com/forums/f10/tech-forums-official-superpi-1m-top-list-169586/

Nice idle temps there. What was ambient?

Nothing to prove it is just we will get a lot of people saying how great their stuff is until it is time to show a screenshot. Like the guy boasting of a huge 3dmark score but just cannot come up with the proof.

Thanks alot for the screnie. Can not wait to see it loaded.

What does you rig get for a superpi 1M run? I would love to compare the 860 to some of the 920 scores at 4.2.
http://www.techist.com/forums/f10/tech-forums-official-superpi-1m-top-list-169586/

Thank you Hefe. I completely understand, which is why I take no offense (it's difficult to offend me anyways without shooting at me). Ambient temps are usually from 20c -22c. I'll have to run pi after I get my new mobo, GPUs, and mods on Monday(I expect my temps to go down even more afterwards, but not by much if at all). Slaymate was correct about the burn in time. AS5 takes alot longer than others to cure, but thats why it depends on the build and your own applied method. My personal favorite method is an X shape with a small rice bead of paste per quadrant, twist once back and forth, and I'm ready to burn in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom