Questions about external enclosures/hard drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir Cumference

Baseband Member
Hey all. Before I get to installing an external HD (and ordering one), I need to know how it works.

I plan on getting a WD Caviar Black 1TB along with an external enclosure--probably this one Newegg.com - Rosewill RX355-X2 BK ABS Cover and internal metal shielding 3.5" Black USB2.0 & eSATA External Enclosure - External Enclosures

My PC specs:

Core i7 920
Asus P6T
OCZ Platinum 6GB

What are some precautions I need to watch out for?

I do want to have it on at all times, but not all the time. From the little reading Ive done, you just cant disconnect the hard drive. Is that correct?

EDIT: Apparently the Rosewill has a power switch. That works I guess

BTW, is it okay to format a hard drive while it is in its enclosure using usb/esata?

the specs on the enclosure you selected says it has a power switch. it also has esata connection. not sure if it works like usb. wait for other comments.

{{ EDITED }}

usb you should use the "safely remove icon" on the bottom right of your screen before disconnecting or turning off computer. yes you can format through usb or esata connection. you might have to go to disk management to do so if you cant see the drive when connecting to your computer.

usb you should disconnect before turning off computer.
Other way round - you should either leave it in, or use the OS's safe removal thing.

I have 4 or 5 external hard disks hooked up to various computers around the house. For the most part, I leave them plugged in 100% of the time (unless I need an open USB port for something else.) When I don't want them powered up, I close them down via the "remove" icon in the system tray. When the message pops up that it's safe to remove the drive, I simply turn them off with the external enclosure power switch (which removes them from "My Computer".

While its still early in the backup game for me, I'm using the "backup" program that comes with Win 7. So far it seems to be working pretty good. With power removed from the enclosures, its the same as having them sitting on a shelf. I guess there is a slight change that they could get zapped with a lightening strike even though they are powered down.

Thanks for the replies.

Im using e-sata connection and I noticed that there isnt an option to "safely remove device". (windows 7)

What do I do in this situation? Can I just power switch it off after I turn off the computer?

Get the Icy Dock Single Bay external enclosures. It's sick! Unlike the one you were considering, the Icy Dock enclosure is metal so it doesn't need a fan. Plastic is the best material to use if you're trying to make the chamber HOTTER. It will also reduce the noisy fan issue many people have. I have the first one but either one is good.

Tray less: Newegg.com - ICY DOCK MB664US-1S Aluminum body w/ partial plastic 3.5" USB 2.0 & eSATA Screw-less External Enclosure - External Enclosures

Tray: Newegg.com - ICY DOCK MB559 Series MB559US-1S Aluminum body w/ partial plastic 3.5" eSATA & USB 2.0 External Enclosure - External Enclosures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom