Laptop doesn't power on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xiahou

In Runtime
Hi there,

Ok, I have a Sony Vaio VGN-NR21Z. Only 18 months old (so out of warranty). This is what has happened:

In the past, my laptop had 'periods' of time, 2-3 days, where it would turn off suddenly if i moved it/the screen. It would then be fine for a while, even a few months, then it would do it again. It only done it for a few days at a time, but as I said, it would be fine for another few months until it done it again. This has gone on for about a year.

However, last week it turned off - during one of the 'periods' (it was doing it frequently that day day and the day before too when moved). Unfortunately, I couldn't get it to turn back on. Now, every time to get it powering back on, I would have to remove the AC, remove the battery, put back in the battery, put back in the AC then press the turn on button. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it, and it might not. Sometimes it got very repetative, and I would have to do this a few times before I got it back on again, but most times it only needed to be done once.

I took it in the Sony centre and, long story short, they messed me about completely, wasted my time and gave me back my laptop today without it even being looked at.

So that's why I came on here to see if anyone has any ideas? I'm guessing motherboard or a loose connection somewhere. Also, if anyone could give me any ideas where to look or what to do inside the laptop that would be very helpful. I'm planning to take it into a shop on Monday but wanted to get ideas on here first.

Appreciate any help

edit: tried with another AC and it didn't work. Also tried with battery out and said AC in and it still didn't work

It might be a loose interior video cable. Did you try opening at all? (since it's out of warranty now) Just be careful.

It might be a loose interior video cable. Did you try opening at all? (since it's out of warranty now) Just be careful.

i opened it only to look to see if there was any burnt out stuff, but that was last week.

To be honest i've got no idea what that looks like - sure I could find the graphics card on it though. Any ideas where I should look?

Also, if loose, would this stop it from being able to power on?

thanks for the reply, very much appreciate it

if you have a vga or s-video out, thats probably where it is ;)

I'm not sure what the verdict is at this point. Did you try reinserting your ram, hard drive, anything?

if you have a vga or s-video out, thats probably where it is ;)

I'm not sure what the verdict is at this point. Did you try reinserting your ram, hard drive, anything?

ah ok, thanks!

i didn't try reinserting anything - I thought that it would have at least turned on if something was needing to be taken out and put back in?

All i really done was opened up the back and checked for any burn marks on the motherboard :D Never had to do anything to a laptop before - wouldn't have a problem doing it for a pc though.

i'll try tonight with your suggestions anyway :) thanks!

re-insert = take out, put back in ;)

I never got deep into laptops except for old Pentium's, that are totally different from today's standards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom