Trying to price out a new system

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwr89

Baseband Member
I have been having some absolutely terrible problems with stability of my system as of late.
specs are as follows:
Asus P5Q Pro
Core 2 Quad Q8200 2.33Ghz
6gb crucial ballistix DDR2 800
Radeon HD 4850
2 - 1.5TB segate 7200 rpm raptor
140gb WD 7200 rpm drive
2 dvd burners
1 cd burner
Windows 7 64-bit retail

This is my main system, it was running fine until I installed cisco's vpn client and bam blue screens out the butt. got that dug out, and ended up just reinstalling windows. that went fine and all but I notice one of my drives disappeared, I restart and whala, the boot manager is missing. I reinstalled windows again, its all going fine except the disk that went missing is now completely dead. there went a full TB of my portfolio. Ok, lets pick up the pieces and move on. I've been running this fresh install for about 2 weeks now and its going Ok, its got some hickupps failing to launch some of my adobe stuff, nothing that a restart can't fix. The problem that I've noticed is:

when I boot, it takes me near 10 minutes. the system hangs and grinds on the Asus P5Q screen waiting for me to push the delete key to enter the bios. I've been through the bios and can't find anything that tells it how long to hold there.

I am ready to just build a new system, I have to have reliability. I am a student in film school I need a system that isn't slow or dieing. it also sounds like I've been having software issues, I've been getting bsod alot as of late as well, I've reverted the drivers back to the originals from windows and nothing. I want to think my mobo is quitting on me.

A crucial bit of info, this system rarely gets turned off. I have it running all day everyday.

Now, being a college student I do have a limited budget too.
I am looking at like $400 for a rebuild.

I want to keep my processor.

I need a new Mobo, New HDD, New Ram and I think thats it.

so I don't know where to start with socket 775 Motherboards.
I'd like a full size ATX, I might want to run SLI at some point, (I am a gamer at heart)
I've been in asus for the last several years from the single cores through dual and into quad. I like them and I think they have done great work in the past. All my old boards still run.
I don't know what the best quality/price board to get. I also don't know what chipset would be the best for me.

I have built a system with the p5q pro turbo and I liked it it was nicely built, but I don't know if thats what I want.

really the motherboard is all I need help with I can find ram and a HDD.

thanks!
~Casey

I have run chkdsk on all of my drives. I never returns anything. I've also run several spyware removal tools too.

yes an i5 would be slick and bump me from 2.33Ghz @4mb cache to like 3.2Ghz @4mb cache.

the problem with that is I am looking at $185 for the i5 and then $150-225 for a mobo roughly another $90 for a new hdd and before ram I am already over 500 :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom