update for hp M8226x

Status
Not open for further replies.
well - got the new PSU in - great fit, hook ed up the 8600gt card "properly" And cleaned up the system a bit. BUT, Vista still running very slow. Tried to load Halo2 and it said I do not have enough speed= 1 ghz, but I am running a dual 3.0 ghz processor. Anybody have any ideas. Thinking about reloading XP - heck with the vista. Internet works great- using Firefox.
What was the exact error? I would say I loved XP, for gaming especially :).

Never actually stated the "error" - but when trying to load a game = Halo2- which I have played on this computer 2 years ago with no trouble, it stated the computer did not have enough speed- it said the computer was only 1.0 ghz, when it actually is a dual core 3.0 ghz. When I look up the system in windows vista it says there is a dual 3.0 ghz processor. I also got a new printer- about 6 months ago- but when I bought/built the new gamer machine - this pc became the daily grind machine= emails, reports, homework,etc. - but when i hooked up the printer there was an error when trying to load the drivers for the printer as well. It also locks up when looking for Vista updates. So some type of windows processing is messed up, or I have a virus that kapersky, trend, or Avanti fails to find.

Never actually stated the "error" - but when trying to load a game = Halo2- which I have played on this computer 2 years ago with no trouble, it stated the computer did not have enough speed- it said the computer was only 1.0 ghz, when it actually is a dual core 3.0 ghz. When I look up the system in windows vista it says there is a dual 3.0 ghz processor. I also got a new printer- about 6 months ago- but when I bought/built the new gamer machine - this pc became the daily grind machine= emails, reports, homework,etc. - but when i hooked up the printer there was an error when trying to load the drivers for the printer as well. It also locks up when looking for Vista updates. So some type of windows processing is messed up, or I have a virus that kapersky, trend, or Avanti fails to find.
Hmmm, maybe it's some Windows related process or fault, because Kaspersky is a really good a/v, don't think it would really miss unless it's something new. All the hardware above seems to be compatible, so guessing that's out of the issue. Maybe some fault with your OS?...I'm kinda running out of options :umm:, leave the thread open to get some other opinions. I'll do some research, sorry if I'm not much of a helper at the moment :(.

Ya- frustrating. I think I am going to buy some new ram ( dual channel 2 GB x 4 sticks - total 8 GB of PC 6400) and load up win7 with a virtual XP - just because the wife likes it and it will be used by all family members. Then I will forget about vista completely!!! May need some help with how to move files,etc. from vista to Win7- is that possible - or better to do a back up of all data - then to a fresh load up of win7 .

Ya- frustrating. I think I am going to buy some new ram ( dual channel 2 GB x 4 sticks - total 8 GB of PC 6400) and load up win7 with a virtual XP - just because the wife likes it and it will be used by all family members. Then I will forget about vista completely!!! May need some help with how to move files,etc. from vista to Win7- is that possible - or better to do a back up of all data - then to a fresh load up of win7 .
I would suggest a full backup and fresh install of Windows 7, that way nothing suppose to go wrong or be affected by the files from Vista.

Wait a few days and see what replies you get here though, in case you can fix the problem without going through all the hassle of backup and installing, etc.

YES- I think that would be necessary- unless someone else posts some other solution- thanks for your efforts/ thoughts/etc.

Ok - no further ideas on the above OS discussion. Will just dump the vista and buy a new win7 pro OS. New task= upgrade the GPU. I am still confused on what makes "MORE" difference. The GPU's ddr memory type (DDR3, DDR5, DDR2) or the Memory size ( 512 MB or 1gb) or the "bit rating"= 64, 128, 256. Newer cards= DDR5/128 or 256 bit/1gb = but too expensive. I am trying to spend less than $100. So, either DDR2 or DDR3 cards? 128 bit, and either 512 or 1gb memory size. Replacing and older EVGA 6800 256, 64 but, ddr2 card. Thanks for your patients people- I am learning. If someone could refer me to a article discussing this topic - that would be great. Also specific new card suggestions are welcome.....

I don't remember what key it was but think it is the F12 key, There might be a separate partition on your hard drive that you can reinstall to factory settings, They stopped giving out disks and put a partition with the backup to save money I think, Try booting it and keep hitting the F12 or F10 key and see if it goes into recovery mode. at least you will have Vista repaired, only down fall will be you will lose anything on the system you added and have to reinstall all the drivers to the things that you added too. Best of luck.

Dauntae

OK - if I have to I will do that- bummer is that I have pics ,etc. - so will have to download to a backup,etc. BUT, that is one way to do it- thanks. Anybody have ideas on the the GP's = what is more important, the bit grab (64 , 128, 256 ), the total memory of the card ( 512 or 1 GB) , or the type of Memory ( DDR??).

GPU's are tough on that subject, some use DDR3 and are better than some cards with DDR5, there is so much more to what makes them work good like shader clocks and so much more. what you should do is either find a couple in the price you want and post them here or give us a budget and we'll fight it out what one is better LOL

Dauntae

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom