Thermalright Venomous-X

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you know it was the same? Did you use the new retention mechanism on both?

Not trying to say your results are bad, just curious

I re-installed the True Copper today using the same retention bracket and the same fans. I also have the heater running so it close to 75dF which is much warmer than yesterdays 65dF with the Venomous X. The True Copper ran LinX for 15 minutes and still stayed cooler than Venomous X after 1 minute.
copperlinx.jpg

I re-installed the True Copper today using the same retention bracket and the same fans. I also have the heater running so it close to 75dF which is much warmer than yesterdays 65dF with the Venomous X. The True Copper ran LinX for 15 minutes and still stayed cooler than Venomous X after 1 minute.
http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/2485/copperlinx.jpg

and the winner is.... trrrrrrrrrrue copper!

nice wallpaper :p

Well I got caught up at work so today I tested the Venomous X against the Original TRUE. I took a few quick photo's of the (2) heatsinks side by side.
compare1r.jpg

compare2s.jpg

compare3g.jpg

Height, Width and Depth wise these heatsink appear to be identical. The main visual difference is the shape of the fins. The TRUE has an Arc cut out of each side of it's fins while the Venomous has a more Tribal pattern cut-out of it's fins. Appearance wise the fins of the Venomous appear to be larger than the fins of the TRUE. But when you count the fins the TRUE has 5 more fins than the Venomous, so the question is. Does the Venomous X have more surface area with less, slightly larger fins or does the TRUE have more surface area with more, slightly smaller fins. I'll attempt to recreate the size and shape of the fins in AutoCAD in the next few days to answer this question.

While I didn't actually notice this while handling the heatsinks, when I opened my photo's in Photoshop to save them as jpg's it appears as if the Venomous X has slightly smaller heatpipes. I'll pick up a Caliper in the next few days to see if they are the same size or not.

I tested both of these heatsinks on my Office Workstation with the exact same settings.
i7 920 @ 4.01GHz (200.5x20)
EVGA X58 LE - e757
6GB (3x2GB) OCZ Platinum DDR3 1600MHz
GTX 280
Corsair 750w

Original TRUE
truel.jpg

Venomous X
venomous.jpg

At an Idle the Venomous X keeps the cpu as cool as the TRUE, but under Full Load the Venomous X just can't keep up, it's easily 5C-6C hotter on each core.

How much better is the True copper than the original? The TCu still sounds like it's the best, paired with two high flow fans it seems like the best bet.

Yeah but the Venomous-x finished linx 1 sec faster so it is clearly the wiener.
;)

It would be nice to copy these post over to a review of the V-X. Get the party started on that kind of stuff.

How much better is the True copper than the original? The TCu still sounds like it's the best, paired with two high flow fans it seems like the best bet.

The True Copper runs 200MHz faster at approximately the same temps. I'll clock it down to 4GHz tomorrow and make a LinX run.

Today I broke out the Digital Calipers :D
calipers.jpg

The heat-pipes are the same size in both heatsinks, 6mm, it was just an optical illusion. I like optical illusions involving strippers better :D Using the calipers I took some measurements of the top fin of each heatsink and drew them out in AutoCAD. I won't say that I got it exactly right but I'm confident that I'm extremely close.

AutoCAD is telling me that a single Venomous X fin is 6796.8368 sq.mm and there are 47 fins (each is .5mm thick).
6796.8368 x 47=319,451.3296 sq.mm. of total fin surface area.

For the TRUE I'm getting a single fin as 6602.4720 sq.mm. and there are 52 fins (each is .5mm thick).
6602.4720 x 52=343,328.544 sq.mm. of total fin surface area.

So the TRUE has more surface area to dissipate heat, 23877.2144 sq.mm. more.
I also weighed each heatsink after lapping.
TRUE - 772 grams
Venomous X - 737 grams

I also took a picture zoomed out and in of the test system with each heatsink installed.

Venomous X
veninstalled.jpg

venclose.jpg

TRUE
trueinstalled.jpg

trueclose.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom