Desktop won't boot up right away - orange blinking light

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkanel

Beta member
Recently I replaced my shared graphics card with a dedicated graphics card. I have a dell dimension 9100 p4 w/ 4gb ddr2. Now when I go to turn the computer on it will blink orange for several seconds to several minutes - in one case as long as an hour - before it boots up. I have read that this would be a mobo or psu failure, however I dont understand how that could be if it does eventually boot up. Any insight would be appreciated.

Did you clean off the old drivers before you put the new GPU in? You will also want to disable the integrated graphics adapter in the BIOS.

i'm not sure how to "clean the drivers"? or disable the bios thing as stated, although a google search guided me through the bios thing and i think it's correct. As far as drivers go, I updated all of the ones on the new GPU.

For the PSU, mine is the stock one (350W), which i know is kind of low. If i popped it up to like a 550 it wouldn't hurt, or would i need to go up to like 750?
GPU is a radeon 8400 1gb ddr2

Hey, read your thread a little bit, normally 350 watts would be the bare mininum just to jump start that video card.
However I recommend a PSU between 400-600 watts will do, your best is to get a 500 watt.
Befre you order anything, head on over the general and buying pc's section and make a request.
I may use a 500watt green watt PSU and it's not that great but atleast it keeps my computer fully powered on with everything I have in my signature post.

Good luck.

mk new psu (650w) on the way, thanks for the insight everyone. I will post again when it's here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom