best network cable..

Status
Not open for further replies.

geforce8800

Banned
any idea what is the best network cable so far? to have a better connection between your router&computer specially for gaming to increase even at least a bit of speed.

Well since there's only one (that you would use), Cat5e ethernet cable.

Depends what kind of router and internet connection you have, but yes, CAT 5e is acceptable.

@Luke: from what I know, 6 is better insulated than 5e. Otherwise, I'm not sure.

Cat 6 is a 10gig capable cable, whereas cat5 and cat5e can only handle a 1gig connection. Cat6 is thicker, heavier, and needs to meet higher standards for crosstalk and interference than cat5e

I'd suggest going with cat6 whenever possible. Cost is negligible for buying lan cable, you can pick up 20m for a few bucks.

If I was wiring my house I would do it with cat6 to be future proof.

For general wires I would get whatever was easiest. I know here you cannot go into stores and pick up cat6 patch cables yet.

It will be a while before we have home routers/switches capable of speeds over 1gb.

cat6 cables do double the bandwidth of traffic, preventing faster speeds by reducing the number of re-transmitted data packets due to curruption. so theoretically yea i would recommend cat6, but most technology doesnt support it yet. cat6 is currently mainly being used in big corporations for high speed equipment, besides fiber

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom