Comments and suggestions on this build

Status
Not open for further replies.
orihS ‪‪‪Shiro;1778021 said:
A 500w Seasonic PSU is like a 700-800w PSU from a lesser brand.

I agree completely. But a 500 watt unit is still just 500 watts. When they say a minimun of 500 watts they mean from a reliable 500 watt unit and it's the minimun for stable operation. If there's the slightest chance you may upgrade in the future you should get a bigger unit, otherwise you should be fine :D

I'm not going to order anything outside the Netherlands due to warranty. I just want to have a physical address to go to when I've got problems.

Should I just get the cheapest OCZ Platinum 1066 MHz memory for 96 euros or splash out for the 1866 MHz ones? (141 euros). It would run 1:1 with the FSB.

A change of heart.

CPU: Intel Core i5 750 - 166 euros
I compared a few benchmarks that showed the i5 750 is slightly better than the Phenom II X4 965 I had been eyeing. Another review also confirms that this cpu is considerably better at video editing (which along with photo editing will be one of the most important tasks)

Motherboard: Asus P7P55D - 118 euros
And a motherboard to go with it. I'm not bothered, but the Asus had good ratings.

Memory: OCZ Platinum Low Voltage DDR3-1333 MHz 2x2 GB - 99 euros
Good shout! Good latencies and the speed I'll need to run it well with the i5.

Now on the graphics card... I'm also starting to have doubts. I had a HD5850 in mind but the benchmarks at Tomshardware showed a considerably better performance by two Crossfired HD5770's. Two of them cost about the same as an HD5850 but people were still saying they'd prefer the HD5850 for future upgradability. I do kind of share that ideology though and I prefer to keep the one card solution.

How much is my laptop worth?

Dell inspiron 1420
1yr and 3 months old
14" screen
3gb RAM
220gb hdd
intel core 2 duo 2.17 GHz
Limeish green color, no scratches,
windows vista home premium
Im trying to save up for a macbook pro 13"
how much do you think i could sell it for? also has a protection plan that gives you a new battery if it goes out. thanks

@ Slaymate and aliasaid, AMD and Nvidia states higher than what is actually required because of all those crap power supplies out there.

Re: How much is my laptop worth?

Dell inspiron 1420
1yr and 3 months old
14" screen
3gb RAM
220gb hdd
intel core 2 duo 2.17 GHz
Limeish green color, no scratches,
windows vista home premium
Im trying to save up for a macbook pro 13"
how much do you think i could sell it for? also has a protection plan that gives you a new battery if it goes out. thanks
Maybe try a new topic to get replies. ;)

In case anyone's interested, I just completed placing my order:

- Processor: Intel Core i5 750
images

- Motherboard: Asus P7P55D
images

- Memory: OCZ Platinum DDR3 1333 MHz
images

- Hard drive: Samsung Spinpoint F3 500 GB
images

- Power supply: be quiet! L7 530 Watt
images

- CPU cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
images

- Optical drive: Sony AD-7240S
images

- Case: Fractal Design Define R2
images

So you're probably thinking: no graphics card? Well, considering the poor availability of the HD5850 (at least in Europe), I'm going to be using my current build's 8800GT until the stocks fill up and the prices drop on the ATi.

Also, what a fantastic case! Just take a look at some of the video reviews on YouTube.

Will post some pics when it's all put together. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom