OS alternatives

Status
Not open for further replies.

gospel

In Runtime
Getting close to finishing up my first build and am looking for OS alternatives. Found out my son has to have braces and don't have the $ to buy XP. What I was wanting to ask is what are my alternatives? The only OS disk I have access to is Win 98. All my other machines came with Compaq and Dell disks with the OS on them. It is my understanding that they can only be used in their systems. I also thought about Linux, but have heard that it was hard to learn. Any ideas that you folks may have are welcome.

i say go with linux. it isn't hard to learn its just different from windows thats all.

If you can't afford the retail version of XP (~$399) then try getting ahold of a student version (assuming yer a student, grade-school, college, night-school, etc.) which runs much cheaper (~$199).

Before you go jumping to Linux, make sure everything you have, from hardware to software (games, programs, etc) will work on Linux.

If you want to test to see if linux is supported on yoru system, Download Knoppix, burn it on a cd, and run it from your cd drive.

During the loading of Knoppix you can see if every hardware driver were loaded successfully.

By teh way, Knoppix is a Linux distribution. Its very simpel to use and runs completey off a CD. Therfore no installations are required.

ShoobieRat said:
If you can't afford the retail version of XP (~$399) then try getting ahold of a student version (assuming yer a student, grade-school, college, night-school, etc.) which runs much cheaper (~$199).

Before you go jumping to Linux, make sure everything you have, from hardware to software (games, programs, etc) will work on Linux.

here in columbus we have 2 store that sell it for $99.00. krazy kenny and comp factory. the difference being with krazy kenny is you have to buy a computer first, comp fact you have buy hardward. so everybody goes to Here and buy a $2.50 fan and a copy of windows xp

So what yer telling me is krazy kenny is actually "krazy stupid kenny."

I'd verify those OS licenses if I were you...

I appreciate the replies so far. I need to clarify a few things though. Right now I don't even want to spend $100 for XP Home. It may just be that I am cheap and Gates is one of the richest men on the face of this earth. I have two copies of XP Home but they are on Dell and Compaq disks. It is a shame to me that I already paid for them and can't use them in my new build. Some will probably say that, if I feel this way, I should do my homework and learn Linux. Maybe so. I guess I could go with Win 98 since I do have it on a disk by itself that came with the first computer I owned. I do have experience with it, but will it work with new hardware?

win98, just make sure you get all the drivers for your various hardware devices.

I have two copies of XP Home but they are on Dell and Compaq disks.
There's a reason for this. Microsoft provides Dell (and other mass-issuers of Windows) a license to distribute Windows with their computers, as long as the software is used with the computer it was purchased with. This has to do with the bundling of the software.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom