Switching a HD to a different computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeffm

Beta member
Hey people, new guy here with a random question, hopefully this is the right section. I'm also not very knowledgeable when it comes to computer stuff so I'll try to keep it short...

Have 2 computers, both older. Took in computer 1 (Acer Veriton 7500 G) to be checked out when it died, was told the motherboard was shot. It would not power on or anything, just dead. That's fine, it's like 5 years old, whatever...

Now I'm robbing some of the parts from it to put in the second computer (some generic one that I bought used from a guy that was custom building his own system) It only has a 40 GB HD while I had a 200 and a 80 GB in the one that died. (both are Seagate 7200's if it matters)

Both systems were running Windows XP so I tried putting my HD's in the slave position on this second computer and they are recognized, I can access all the files, etc.
I figured I'd try hooking both of the old ones up in the second computer, 1 as main and 1 as slave, to see what would happen. Turns out, nothing is what happens :lol:

So now I'm wondering what I would have to do to be able to put my 200 GB and 80 GB into this other system? As in take out the HD that it's using and replace with the 2 from my original computer. What would be involved, and how complicated for a rookie computer guy?

Also, right now I have the 200 GB still hooked up as a slave, just so I have access to all my stuff from the dead computer. Is there a chance this could cause any major problems to the computer or anything?

Sorry to ramble on, hopefully this makes some sense.:lol:

Hi there!

You can not take a hard drive with XP on it from one computer and expect to be able to just boot in a different computer. What you can do is try loading the hard drive from the old computer, then boot to the XP installation disc and try a startup repair. Either that or just format the drive (lose all data on that drive) and re-install windows.

Having the 200 gb hooked up as a slave should not cause any issue.

:big_grin:

Hi there!

You can not take a hard drive with XP on it from one computer and expect to be able to just boot in a different computer. What you can do is try loading the hard drive from the old computer, then boot to the XP installation disc and try a startup repair. Either that or just format the drive (lose all data on that drive) and re-install windows.

Having the 200 gb hooked up as a slave should not cause any issue.

:big_grin:
You can try the method stated above with the Repair Installation feature or the sysprep stated below.
You can use sysprep or perform a repair installation on XP.

Is your computer able to connect 3 hard drives if so, why not use all of them.

If you are doing a fresh install of the os, it might be good for you to find out what current hardware you have on it right now so you can get the newest drivers for it.

Wow, you guys are quick!

Just to expand a bit on the replies though, as I really am green when it comes to this stuff...

" What you can do is try loading the hard drive from the old computer, then boot to the XP installation disc and try a startup repair. Either that or just format the drive (lose all data on that drive) and re-install windows."

Now how would I do this? I am guessing I would hook up the HD I want to be the new primary (the 200 GB) and power it on, then put the XP disk in the drive? Will it automatically load something, or would I need to do something? Then just follow instructions for whatever the repair option is?

I don't really want to lose all the data on the 200 GB drive, but the 80 GB drive from the old computer is basically empty, so I could use that I guess if need be.

"You can try the method stated above with the Repair Installation feature or the sysprep stated below"

This sysprep program/method, how difficult would it be for a rookie? Basically the most I've ever done is changed a graphics card or some RAM, etc. I have no idea what is involved with repairing an O/S or doing whatever it is you do to make a computer boot up from scratch.

Also to add, I only have cables for 2 hard drives, so all three isn't an option

Never done it myself but the steps seem simple to me.
1. Download drivers for your motherboard and especially your network card. When you blow away your current setup it's nice to have these ready to install. The network card is essential, you mush have this driver handy in case XP doesn't. Otherwise you will be downloading from another PC just so you can get on the internet.

2. Extract the Sysprep 2.0 files from your XP CD (\support\tools\deploy.cab) to c:\sysprep. The deploy.cab can be downloaded here.
I'm not sure if Sysprep 2.0 works on Windows 2K, I assume so (have not tested this). I know Sysprep 1.1 does work, that can be downloaded here.

3. Run Sysprep.exe

4. Select Mini-Setup, PnP, and then Reseal. Your PC should shut down when complete.

5. Install the new motherboard and or other hardware.

6. Boot the machine, it will show screens similar to when XP was first installed, this is the Mini-Setup Wizard.

7. At this point the instructions will vary depending on your hardware, you will be prompted for drivers that Windows does not already have.

8. Once you have installed the drivers you are ready to go.

Sysprep would have to be done while the drive was in the old computer, so it wouldn't work for this one.

A repair installation might work, but why bother? Format the 80 gig and clone the 40 gig over onto it (after transferring anything you wanted to keep to the 250 gig). Then, pull the 40 gig and set the 80 gig as boot. Transfer whatever you need from the 250 to the 80 or burn it onto disks, and then format the 250 and use it for data.

Um ok, that sounds like you know what you're talking about:lol:

So I searched the web and found how to format my 80 GB HD, so I went ahead and did that. Then I searched for how to clone, and I'm guessing you need a program to do this?

Ok, searched and found an article explaing briefly how to clone and using what program. I downloaded "Shadow Copy 1.0" and copied the contents of C (the 40 GB original HD) onto the empty and formatted 80 GB HD. Shut down the computer, installed only the 80 GB as the primary HD, turned it back on.

All that happens is it powers back up, the lights on both CD drives flash briefly, the monitor remains black for a few seconds then " Press A Button To Reboot" comes up on the screen. You press a key and the cycle just repeats over and over.

Help?? :lol:

I put the 80 GB back in as a slave and it is getting wiped/formatted again to start fresh. It can wait til tomorrow now...

Acronis should be able to do the job. 30-day free trial.
Complete hard disk recovery solution, backup, drive copy, clone and image computer software

Of course there's Ghost. I have used it before. Free to try.
Norton Ghost - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

I have also used PartitionMagic to do this. Free to try.
Norton PartitionMagic - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

No matter which you use, make sure that the MBR (Master Boot Record) is included when it copies to the other disk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom