5700 256MB or 9800 128MB

Status
Not open for further replies.
isn't the SE crippled from the getgo anyway?

Well I read an article regarding that and it depends on how in demand they are. If they aren't in demand they take the same core from the pro cards that have 4 working pipelines, but the other 4 are flawed so they disable those and then with that if you try to OC your card to pro level it will not work. However, if the cards are in high demand, they will take a perfectly good core instead of waiting to get a defected one and will simply disable 4 working pipelines which then allows people to make their SE cards work at PRO levels.

As far as the bit difference, I have no idea

what i ment by crippled was the bits, cause that is the bandwidth from the memory to the core, so 256 bit is much faster than 128.

the 9800 is the better card as this as more pipelines then the 5700 card.if u are looking 4 a cheap vid card and feel lucky buy a 9800se and softmod it .it will then be a 9800pro as by softmodding it will enable the extra 4 pipelines thus having the same pipelines as a 9800pro which is 8,but there some 9800se cards can only be softmodded so be warned because if your softmod doesnt work then u will be left with a 4 pipeline card which is its default setting when bought so u wont damage yor card.

ups just popped a 9800pro while playing doom3 so going back to a nvida.cranked the graphics up and locked up then when rebooted comp all screen was corrupetd from bios screen

Well my FX 5700 256mb is comparable to the 9600XT 256mb card easily.....so if you don't go 9800 pro then you might as well get the 5700.....the 5700 Ultra has 900Mhz memory speed compared to the normal 5700 has 500MHz...something to think about...

Well my FX 5700 256mb is comparable to the 9600XT 256mb card easily

Yes I quoted myself.....people will think I'm crazy but I'll lay down $100 and say otherwise. Two systems....one of them being my sig below..the other being an AMD64 3500+ CPU, MSI Neo2-Platinum Motherboard, 1gb Kit of Corsair XMS RAM, and 9600XT 256mb card.........both systems doom3 defaults the settings to High quality, 800x600 resolution, no aa, no af, all 'effects' though. His computer...as ruthlessly tough as it should be...plays doom3 possibly 5FPS smoother on the same settings...... So it all depends on your system....how clean the system is....things such as that. You can't always go by reviews...articles..and peoples half assed opinions....I'm afraid it's one of those things where you kinda got to get a few opinions and then make your own best judgement and read up on real well written articles to aid you. But I'm telling you....real world AMD64 bit system with high performance everything VS my Normal system at 2.6GHz (at the time I had 512mb of PC3200 not the RAM below) nvidia vs ati .......ATI in this case barely one....but I wouldn't doubt that I could gain that extra 5FPS by also having a gig of high performance RAM. Not only that, but I Know beyond a shadow of a doubt if I OC this card it'll surpass the 9600XT......

So like rareware said...you can go with the 9800SE but you have to pray that they just disabled the other 4 pipelines and that it's not a bunk chip that has 4 flawed pipelines that you can't open, or go with the 9800PRO.....the 9800PRO will beat the 5700

ati is known to be 1 million times better than nvidia. radeon 9800 is better than all of the fx series of gfx cards.

ati is known to be 1 million times better than nvidia
Not hardly.... the 9800 pro is not better than all of them, the XT might be but I believe the 5950 Ultra by nvidia beat it out. The cards are basically the same...like I said, my system vs high performance 64 bit system and his 9600XT card barely outperformed mine by like 5FPS on the same settings. So I know a 5700 Ultra would beat it

i would have to say after seeing a 5700Ultra 256Mb run doom3 and comparing it to a 9600XT 256Mb on the same system, i was surprised to see that the 9600XT did not give any extra performance at all. if it was compared with the 5700Ultra 256Mb with AA/AF enabled, it would be a different story, because the ATi cards always run better with AA/AF enabled.

not that this is what the thread is about.... :confused:

well all I'm saying is I put my system against an amd64 system with the 9600XT 256mb vs the FX 5700 and doom3 defaulted to the same settings for both systems. 800x600, no aa, no af, High quality, and his was like 5FPS smoother which was probably cause he had 1 gb kit of XMS in dual channel vs my 512mb stick of kingston value ram

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom