Old member...New build

Status
Not open for further replies.

kfc469

Daemon Poster
Hey guys. I haven't been around here in a few years (I used to have thousands of posts but they've disappeared oh nooooo)...don't recognize many names anymore. Only one I really recognize is Trotter (congrats on admin...love the new site). Anyways...I'm building a computer and i was wondering if you guys could weigh in on it. I'm wanting it to be a powerhouse that's going to last me 4-5 years. I'm trying to stay under $1800 or so.

Case ($54.98): Rosewill Wind Knight Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Link

Processor ($598.98): Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W - Link

Mobo ($232.98): ASUS P6T LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Link

RAM($139.99): OCZ Gold Tri Channel 6GB PC10666 DDR3 Memory - 1333MHz, 6144MB (3 x 2048) - Link

SSHDD($89.99): OCZ Vertex Series OCZSSD2 30GB - Link

HDD($199.98): 2 x Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA - Link

GPU($169.99): XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Link

PSU($49.99): OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ600MXSP 600W ATX12V V2.2 - Link

BluRay Drive($68.97): LITE-ON Black Blu-ray Reader Model iHOS104-06 - Link

DVDRW($55.98): Sony Optiarc Black 2MB Cache SATA DVD/CD Rewritable Drive - Link

CF Reader($19.99): Nippon Labs Delux 3.5" Internal All In One Card Reader/Writer with USB2.0 & eSATA Ports Model ICR-BB - Link

Thermal Paste($8.48): Arctic Silver Ceramique Thermal Compound - Link

Total price = $1,682.30

I'm planning on using the SSD as my OS disk (Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit) and the 2, 1 TB drives in raid 0 as my data disk. I'm also planning on buying two of these for a dual monitor setup.

I'm not going to be doing all that much gaming, but I need a quality GPU to support the high resolutions I want + 3 video outputs. I do a lot of photo and a little video editing.

Thanks!

EDIT: Sorry, forgot to mention that all these prices are after rebates/shipping, etc

Go with the i7 920 instead of the 960, it's cheaper and it'll overclock high enough to manage anything you want to throw at it.

Also, you might want to get a slightly better psu. Just not sure exactly how reliable that particular model is.

Or you could wait and get an i7 930. Those should be out within about a week I think. Fry's has them and sold a few, but I guess Intel yelled at em and told them to stop because I heard that a couple people that just tried to buy some got turned down even though they had them in stock.

I think other places will be selling them by the end of this month.

Never heard of the artic silver ceramic stuff. Is there really much point in using it with the stock cooler?

EDIT: Isn't the 930 still going to be 45nm? Why get that instead of the 920?

^apparently it'll have a higher stock speed, and will retail for about the same price. Also, I don't think it's known yet if it's 32nm or 45nm.

Good to see you back around. Thanks for the congrats. Not sure about the post thing unless they were in OT before we removed it from post counts.

Get TX-2 instead of the Artic Silver.

OCZ PSUs are solid, so no worries there.

Go with the 920 or 930 and put the money saved toward a better GFX card, like a 5870.

Forget using RAID. Just make the disks D: and E: and go with it. Raid can and will seriously screw you over if/when a disk fails on you. If you want 2TB, just go with a Samsung Spinpoint F3.

Or you could wait and get an i7 930. Those should be out within about a week I think.

Yea thats a good idea. I think I'll do that and just OC it. Any idea how expensive it'll be?

Forget using RAID. Just make the disks D: and E: and go with it. Raid can and will seriously screw you over if/when a disk fails on you. If you want 2TB, just go with a Samsung Spinpoint F3.

I was planning on doing RAID1 or 3 for the redundancy. I've had too many drives crap out on me and I'm too lazy to backup every so often :).

Thanks!

Ok, I've decided to go with the i7-930 and I figured out I needed to upgrade my PSU cause I was drawing close to 600W with just the stuff I'm buying and I want to future proof a little: Newegg.com - OCZ GameXStream OCZ850GXSSLI ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 850Watts Power Supply 100 - 240 V CB, CE, CSA, UL - Power Supplies

Also, if I get the 850W, I'll be loading it at around 70% which will be much more efficient than loading it at 100% therefore saving me money in the long run! yay.

I'm also thinking about changing up the case. Any that you guys like?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom