May change my build plans ... LCS people, get in here please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slam'n Systems

Veteran Techist Member
Hey guys,
So this is my build as it stands now...

Intel Core i7 920
OCZ 6GB DDR3 1600
OCZ Vertex 30GB SSD
ASUS P6X58D Mobo
BFG GTX 280 OCX
Rosewill 1000W Modular

and now I am looking for a Full Tower because my old Thermaltake Xaser II is no longer cutting it. (I wanna go all new! :))

I did order a Megahalem's Cooler & 2 Fans... but the size of the cooler with a Push-Pull will probably force me to not be able to use my first couple RAM slots.

I originally planned on ordering the Thermaltake Armor+ Full Tower Case:
Newegg.com - Thermaltake ArmorPlus(Armor+) VH6000BWS Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

But then I stumbled across the Thermaltake Armor LCS Full Tower:
Thermaltake Armor LCS - Liquid Cooled System - Black at Xoxide!

Cheaper, not by much, but has a built in Liquid Cooling System for the CPU. I would love to just resell my Megahalem's Cooler & Fans and just go Liquid Cooled because of the space saving, and probably more efficient at cooling an O/Ced processor but I have never done liquid cooling before and don't wanna jump in on it and realize I need to spend hundreds on stuff it doesn't include.

As far as I have read, it includes everything but it says I need "an upgrade mounting kit for a Core i7".
(They are referring to this: Core i7 LGA1366 Upgrade Kit for Waterblock & Liquid Cooling System A242331 )

Now, instead of getting that mounting kit and using their water block, would this just work?
Swiftech Apogee GTZ Core i7 Water Block at Xoxide!

If all I need to purchase is that Swiftech Waterblock, I think I am game on trying out my first water cooling system.

Any other advice? Would that radiator be good for overclocking an i7? ...etc.

This definitely gives me a prime opportunity to go liquid cooled. I've done a little researching about it, and it seems the reviews from PC sites about the case say its a great LCS case and straight forward directions.

Thanks for the advice/help guys!

please don't get that case with the thermaltake water cooling... you would be better off with the megahalems. if you are going to do water cooling you gotta do it right, not with thermaltake garbage.

Care to explain more? Every review I have read so far seems to state that the liquid cooling system with the case is excellent, the only negative things I have read are case flaws.

With that being said, I am now considering getting the Armor+ version of the LCS:
Thermaltake Armor+ LCS VH600LBWS Case at Xoxide!

My question still remains though, do I need that Core i7 Mounting Kit, or would simply getting the Swiftech Apogee GTZ Core i7 Water Block be a replacement?
http://www.xoxide.com/swiftech-apogee-gtz-i7-waterblock.html http://www.xoxide.com/swiftech-apogee-gtz-i7-waterblock.html

Thermaltake just doesn't make quality water cooling systems... At least compared to other custom loops. I would take a high end air cooler like a megahalems over a thermaltake LC loop any day.

As for just getting the block... That should work I guess... But really I don't think that will be any better than a megahalems with a couple nice fans in push/pull

My fear with the Megahalems though, which I should have thought of sooner, is it will be so large, it may block 2 of my RAM slots. I would assume that means I can only do triple channel in the last 3 slots, and unable to upgrade to another 3 sticks in the future.

I guess if Tt isn't the best route, I'll just stick with air for now. I'll be getting the Armor+ (Without the LCS) and maybe someday I can incorporate my own build into it. Thanks for the advice burn.

I'll bet money the Thermaltake kit SUCKS and I only bet on sure things :D

The radiator is to small to be effective. All the main components are crammed together so the heat from the pump is actually heating up the radiator and the reservoir. There are really just to many design flaws in All the various self-contained water cooling kits to justify buying one.

The fans attached to the Megahalem will only block the ram slots if you go with 120mm x 38mm fans. If you buy a standard size fan/fans (120mm x 25mm) you'll be just fine with the OCZ memory.

Edit: you can't populate just the last 3 ram slots for triple channel. You have to keep the ram in the same colored slots (1,3,5 or 2,4,6).

The fans attached to the Megahalem will only block the ram slots if you go with 120mm x 38mm fans. If you buy a standard size fan/fans (120mm x 25mm) you'll be just fine with the OCZ memory.

Ah, good to hear. I was looking at pictures yesterday of peoples builds with the Push-Pull and it looked like it'd at least take up the first RAM slot.

This will save me money, as I can go with my original plans again and I wont need to sell my cooler that will be here tomorrow.

I should have pictures of my new build maybe this weekend :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom