Crazy Display Problem Thinkpad w/ X1400

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinkpad T60
LG H-IPS Monitor 15" 4:3 1400x1050
Graphics
ATI Mobility Radeon X1400

During normal use my screen's aliasing will screw up and skew horizontally, massive amounts of artifacts spew onto the screen, and sometimes the display just goes off completely at random.

Any combination of all of the above things happens at random.

It's not a heat issue.
I've installed the latest drivers.
Also, the problems even occur during Bootup during BIOS bootup and pretty much any time the laptop is on.

If I physically manipulate or apply pressure to my laptop in certain areas, the problems may stop or worsen.
I have opened up and reseated all of the parts that I could.
The problems persist.
I have tried practically every graphics driver.

If I apply pressure directly over the GPU PCB the problem ceases.
I assume this probably means there's a loose connection between my GPU and my system board.
If this is the case, is there anything I can do about it? Besides replacing the entire system board.

In the past I was getting ati2dvag.dll blue screens of death, but they do not occur anymore since I did a driver update a few months ago.

Hi I read your post sorry for all the trouble you are having.
You might have 2 serious hardware problems.

A.Your LCD maybe at fault, if your saying you apply different pressures to certain parts of the laptop your screen maybe starting to break down.

B.If you jiggle your vga port or apply pressure to it in someway, since the vga is onboard only in the laptop.
You might have to get this repaired or get the whole motherboard replaced by the company who built yourr laptop.

I am assuming it is vga problem automatically because run into to these kind of problems when I get donated or fixed use laptops from time to time and sell them in the newspaper.

Thats my best advice that I can give you right there, replace the whole motherboard.

Replaced the LCD screen three times.
Problem existed across all the times.
The VGA cable was replaced once.
Problem persisted.

My guess is still GPU/System Board connection got loose from slight warping of the system board over time, or possibly from a heat break.

orihS ‪‪‪Shiro;1776928 said:
Replaced the LCD screen three times.
Problem existed across all the times.
The VGA cable was replaced once.
Problem persisted.

My guess is still GPU/System Board connection got loose from slight warping of the system board over time, or possibly from a heat break.

Well you tried what you could do, the only thing that I can suggest is get a good used working mobo from ebay.com.

As a matter of fact I'll copy the laptop name and see what I can bring up on ebay.com.
If I find something either I'll edit this post or reply after you when I come back.

The system board for the T60 with the X1400 is about $150-200

The cheapest system boards for the T60 use Intel GMA...
And are $25-30

I've looked at this stuff already... :\
I don't have very much money to spend on this.

Good luck and send me a PM of how it goes. ;)

orihS ‪‪‪Shiro;1776936 said:
That board has already been purchased by someone else.

Did you look at the listings closer on ebay.com ? none of those mobo's have been purchased each seller has their own set fixed price.
You still have a choice from about 10-12 sellers to buy a motherboard from them.
How long has it been since you used ebay ?

Did you look at the listings closer on ebay.com ? none of those mobo's have been purchased each seller has their own set fixed price.
You still have a choice from about 10-12 sellers to buy a motherboard from them.
How long has it been since you used ebay ?

I don't have money to off on it.
The $70 one was gone.

I would like to do a repair, sans paying money if possible.

orihS ‪‪‪Shiro;1777017 said:
I don't have money to off on it.
The $70 one was gone.

I would like to do a repair, sans paying money if possible.

That maybe your last option then, not unless somebody else has a better idea.
You can take it in to a computer shop and have a real technician not that "**** geek squads" look at it and see if he could make the repairs to it.

If you never tried to repair laptops before and don't know what to do, let somebody else fix it for you.
Be prepared to spend up towards 100 bucks getting it worked on because of labor and part charges.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom