Which are really quads!

Status
Not open for further replies.

OsRevolution

Baseband Member
Hey, Some people are telling me some quads are just 2 duals stuck together just wondering is that really true?

It is true with the Core 2 Quads, they're just two Core 2 Duos stuck together.

But AMD's quads, and Intel's i7 and i5 series, are true quad-cores.

the core 2 quads used a mirroring technology that made a virtual core out of a physical core. correct me if I'm wrong someone, but I think some of the dual cores used similar technology.

There used to be a decent video on AMD's website about the differences between true quads and intels early offerings, I can't seem to find it at the moment because of a lack of time but I'll have another look in a while some one some ware must have mirrored just because the guy in it looked like Magnum PI in a lab coat.

The whole "true quad" thing was just an attempt on AMD's part to convince people to buy the original Phenoms over the much faster Core 2 Quads. While it is true the Phenoms are monolithic quads and the Core 2's are not that doesn't have any impact on the consumer whatsoever.

the core 2 quads used a mirroring technology that made a virtual core out of a physical core. correct me if I'm wrong someone, but I think some of the dual cores used similar technology.

The Core 2 quads have 4 physical cores, what you are describing sounds more like hyperthreading which they didn't use.

The whole "true quad" thing was just an attempt on AMD's part to convince people to buy the original Phenoms over the much faster Core 2 Quads. While it is true the Phenoms are monolithic quads and the Core 2's are not that doesn't have any impact on the consumer whatsoever.

The Core 2 quads have 4 physical cores, what you are describing sounds more like hyperthreading which they didn't use.

Yeah at the end of the day, they are still quad cores. The internal arrangement and construction holds no bearing unless it translates to raw performance.

yea i understand there still quads at the end of the day but like how can uno which ones are really quads lol

yea i understand there still quads at the end of the day but like how can uno which ones are really quads lol

It doesnt matter. It should play no role in your purchase decision.

EDIT: i7 and i5 quads are monolithic if you must know.

Basically if it has "quad" in it's name it's a quad core... And as stated the whole "true quad" thing isn't relevant, if it has 4 physical cores it's a quad. For example:

Core 2 Quad = Quad Core
Core 2 Extreme = Quad Core
i5 750 = Quad Core
i5 6xx = Dual Core w/ Hyper threading
i7 = Quad w/ hyper threading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom