Building a Gaming Rig For the First Time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wirehead10

Solid State Member
Hello All,

I've recently went to Alienware and priced a couple of gaming computers, but they are all pretty heavily priced. So I got the bright idea of trying to go through with building my own gaming rig. I have done simple things with computers such as replace a graphics card or troubleshoot a problem with one, but never have I built one from scratch.

The first thing I am looking at purchasing is a CPU, I've had my eye on the Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 Processor, but I want to make sure I get the most bang for my buck and don't underestimate what I'm actually looking for.

I want a processor that will last (and handle games, workload, etc.) for the next 4 or 5 years. I have found one on OutletPC.com that is cheaper than Newegg.com, but again this is my first time doing this.

Is there a better processor out there? And is there a better wholesale site for me to look at that is dependable and fairly priced with a quality component?

All help is greatly apprecieated!

Wirehead

Number One - What is your Budget? :D

Yes, there are much better cpu's than the C2Q 9400.

NewEgg is a Reputable Reseller. They offer Low-Prices, Great Shipping Rates and Fast Processing. You may find a few good deals at a Reseller like OutletPC, but will the service match up? I doubt it.

I have not decided on a budget yet because this is something I'm not in a rush to do and I surely don't have $1500 laying around either. So I'm going to build what I want for whatever price it happens to take. If I have to save up for a part here or there then that's what I'll do, but what I definately don't want to do is pay for more than what I need. I just want to build a rig that will play the newest video games for the next 4 or 5 years at a higher setting.

I just want to build a rig that will play the newest video games for the next 4 or 5 years at a higher setting.

That's asking a LOT. I probably have one of the best/better gaming systems on this forum and I doubt that I'll be able to play games at a High Setting in 2-3 years with what I have now.

Ah, well I again I am new at this. Let me modify what I was looking for. I wanna get the best bang for my buck and have a computer that will stand toe to toe with technology for as long as is reasonable. Like I said I looked on Alienware and I'm not going to spend $4000 on a computer when I can do it myself. Just want the most out of what I pay for.

you will do much better building it yourself, bravo on recognizing that. right now that i7 is the top dog processor. if you go with that, try to find a good x58 board for it, seems to be the standing ruler for LGA 1366...
Newegg.com - EVGA E760 CLASSIFIED "Overclocker's Pick" 3-Way SLI + PhysX 1366 Intel X58 EATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD7 LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
Newegg.com - DFI LANPARTY JR X58-T3H6 LGA 1366 Intel X58 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
These are actually my favorites for the x58 series

Thank you guys for the help. I'm going to take your advice and scour the internet put some things together and then post them here so you all can tell me should be tweaked or completely replaced.

you shouldn't go with alienware at all, even if you didn't want to build it yourself. they're too expensive for what you get.

One more thing guys, which I7 would be the best bang for the buck? I'm looking on newegg right now and they range anywhere from 250 to 600 dollars. I mean is one that cost 280 going to come close to comparing to a higher end I7?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom