HELP!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure what crashing is talking about. Safe mod DOES NOT 'block' all unauthorized startup programs. Safemode just starts the essential programs for windows to run. It doesn't block anything, it just starts a particular list of services.

As for a scan not working, again not sure where you are coming from with that. I work in an environment where IT10T errors are a daily occurance and people click those bogus popups all the time. If you are able to get into safe mode (som virus's will corrupt the safe mode boot agent so you can't boot into safe mode) you can run a scan and 9 times out of 10 it will remove things like Windows Antivirus 2009 / 2010 and similar malware.

Regardless try safemode, if that doesn't work we can go from there. Start in safemode with networking, download and install malwarebytes and update it. Then run a full scan. It will require a reboot but most of the time that does fix the errors aside form some registry edits that the virus creates. They are harmless once you remove the virus but you will get a positive ID from the registry edits. You can go into the registry and remove the listed item.

If safemode doesn't work, go into msconfig (click start>run>msconfig) go into the startup tab and remove EVERYTHING, then go into services, click the 'hide windows services' then stop all services. At that point try what we've listed about with malwarebytes.

I know about the F6, the F8 way is just easier ;)

And thanks, Lex. I'm not sure what he was onto either...
I'm not ragging on him i just don't know where he's coming from. The real issue is the user has malware INSTALLED. 9 times out of 10 you can remove most malware with one or two programs (malwarebytes/ccleaner/etc) in safemode. I admit there are some hardcore malware programs that won't remove in safemode, but not because they start up in safemode and not allow you to scan, but because they corrupt windows where windows won't start in safemode.

On nother note, ANY, and i mean ANY IT professional will tell you the very very very very very first thing you do is diable system restore. WHy? Because any IT person will tell you the first thing most virus's corrupt is the resort points (because that is the first thing an average user would try).

Blah blah blah, anyways please just try the safemode idea that people have already posts. PM or email me through my website if you want more detailed information.

Edit: to get into safemode depends on the manufactuerer.

Thank you all for the help. I was able to boot in safe mode and got my taskbar and icons back. Was not able to run malwarebytes because everything is opening with internet explorer still. When i try to right click, there is no "open with" option. It just says open, and if I click on that, it tries to open with IE and obviously doesn't work. I created a new user and ran malwarebytes on that but I'm not sure if it would detect whatever was wrong with the other user. Does anyone know how to change the program that opens something if the "open with" option isn't there? I'm not too computer savvy so I'm not sure if there is somewhere else I should be looking to change the program to open. Thanks again!

Yes, running a scan will scan all files for any user.

If internet explorer is hosed you can always save the install .exe from another computer and copy it over with a cd/dvd/usb drive. Then install and update.

If you right click the icon you should have an option of 'open with'. Then select the program.

Sounds like you got malwarebytes to work though. Just update it, ensure it updates correctly then run a full system scan. After that scan it will require a restart. Upon restart run another scan.

I'm having all kinds of problems with my computer. It runs on Vista. My husband called me at work last night to say he keeps getting a popup saying our computer was infected. I told him not to click on it but of course, he did. IT was from Vista Internet Security and it highjacked everything. Now I have no icons or start up taskbar...just my desktop. The only way I can open things is in windows task manager but even then not everything opens. Also now everything is opening with IE. I saw that this happened to someone else and followed the instructions but I can't open anything I download because when it downloads it only offers two options, save and cancel. When I click open it tries opening with IE, ANy help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Go to system restore and go back to a eariler date before this happend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom