Designating an ethernet jack to virtual machines

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroShade

In Runtime
I have 3 gigabit ethernet jacks... two currently hooked up to one router. What I want to do is set one of them to a virtual machine running in vmware and then the other for my local machine. Does anybody know how I can go about doing this?

vmware workstation 7
esx
running windows server 2008 datacenter inside the vm and windows 7 professional managing vmware.

Is it possible to set windows 7 up in such a way so that all network connectivity goes to my killer 1 nic and then point the vmware application running towards 1 of the 2 onboard jacks?

See my previous post. The VM does not use the physical hardware that way. It emulates its own. No, you can't do what you're asking.

I understand that the vm emulates its hardware but the connection that is being emulated typically comes from physical hardware... in network editor (part of vmware) you can assign a specific ethernet card to the emulated vm... so if thats possible than I would think that there is a way to do what I want to do. What if I rephrased it so that for my host machinse windows 7, how can it differentiate which program uses which NIC (outside of the vm completely)? Programs can specifically be programmed to use a certain card but if not programmed I'm kinda hoping windows can take care of it? Or a third party app? Or is this still a no... and don't quote 'look at my previous posts, no you can't do what you're asking'.... enlighten me a bit.

What if I rephrased it so that for my host machinse windows 7, how can it differentiate which program uses which NIC (outside of the vm completely)?

i think the program has to be coded to do something like this. take wireshark for instance. you pick which adapter to see its traffic.

afaik, there's no config in the os to designate a particular program to a particular adapter.

matter of a fact, i'm not even sure how the os chooses. there could be a hack here. something like disable one, start program, and then reenable nic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom