XP opens to "My Computer"??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Max Paws

Baseband Member
I can't figure out why! I can shut down all window before logging out and it still opens up My Computer when I log on next time. There nothing in ANY of the startup folders... This didn't happen with a previous install and I can't figure out how to stop it!!

It's not a "problem", just a nuisance.

...and this has been going on for months.

If you have My Computer open when you reboot, or right after you install something and it's open, it defaults to open it back on start up so you can continue where you left off.

This should only happen once though.

nope, that didn't work.

i do the usual close all windows before doing a shutdown because windows is SUpposed to remember how you shut down and open up again like that.

Maybe somewhere in the registry??

Nobody??

I know I've never seen this before... I'm no n00b here but I just can't figure this one out! I've searched rge Registry for anything under Startup, or any instance of "My Computer".... nada.

Check the msconfig file. Check under boot. I found lots of junk running at boot that messed up my PC (more than normal). Also, you can turn off processes that you don't use to make XP faster.

MicroBell said:
Open MY Computer...click..tools..folder options. Click either "Restore Defaults" or make sure there is NOT a checkmark in the box for the "Restore Previous Windows at Logon"

well you wouldnt have to open "My Computer" by clicking on it hehe...

well maybe its somewhere in the registry go to start, run then type regedit. when it opens go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run then if you can find "My Computer" delete it from the registry

turn your modem off befor you log off . some viruses or some software can cause the computer to start when you log off.

regards
louis

louis said:
turn your modem off befor you log off . some viruses or some software can cause the computer to start when you log off.

regards
louis

Where is that coming from???

Apok - I already checked the Registry backwards and forwards... nothing there. I've been working with computers for decades now, so I'm no nooB and I've never seen this problem. I've checked every known place that identifies startup environment and can find nothing. I've installed WinXP on other pc's and have never had this problem either! I have full firewall protection, virus protection, spyware protection and run periodic checks for these things. Just plain stumped here!

Dammit where's the XP-certified tecchies here??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom