Upgrading Power Supply...

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Rogue_Ninja

Baseband Member
I want to upgrade my power supply from a 320W to a 500-750W. The only thing I don't know is this: Will any power supply be compatible with my PC, or do I have to buy one based on my motherboard?

I've done some research, but I can't find an answer to my question.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

The_Rogue_Ninja

Is this a pre-built PC from a company like Dell, HP, etc...? If so if may take a special power supply, but most are compatible with a standard power supply. The biggest issue would probably be size related if you have a small case.

It is a pre-built PC. A Dell XPS 420.

I want to upgrade the graphics card to an ATI HD 4870, and to do that I need to first upgrade the power supply. A 500W PSU is the minimum I need to purchase for that card, but a 750W would give me enough power headroom to further upgrade the PC.

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure you can use a standard power supply with the XPS 420.

I don't know how much you have to spend but you should buy a good brand name power supply even if it has a lower wattage rating, A Corsair, OCZ, Antec, Enermax, PC Pwr. & Cooling are a few Good Brands.

Most of the cheaper priced units are just that, Cheaper, low quality trash :D

Thats a great power supply, but over-kill for what you want. But i guess you could keep it and take it to a new build once you decide to upgrade.

If you want to save money you could one of the following:

Newegg.com - Antec BP550 Plus 550W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.2 Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies
Newegg.com - OCZ StealthXStream OCZ600SXS 600W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies
Newegg.com - OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ600MXSP 600W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply compatible with core i7 - Power Supplies
Newegg.com - SILVERSTONE ELEMENT ST60EF 600W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

but that 750watt corsair is good value for $110.

edit: i just realized that its $110 after rebates, so its not such a great deal :p. You can get it from newegg for the same price, but with a bigger rebate.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006

and it looks like you get an additional $5 off using a promo code.

Wow! Thanks a lot for the PSU recommendations. I've never done a power supply upgrade, so the info you're providing really helps.

The Antec BP 550 Plus looks really good for the price. I've been having a difficult time finding a good 550W PSU, so I just thought I'd go a bit higher up with the 750W, but that Antec is very nice.

I also like that Silverstone Element ST60EF 600W, and the fact that it's Crossfire ready is nice plus.

Thanks a lot! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom