Looking for a laptop capable of gaming and more...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JanuarySnow

Solid State Member
Hello all I'm back.

Woohoo tax return equals new laptop! :p

I am looking for a laptop that is capable of gaming without overheating. Something that can handle a solid 3D online game.

Also, I would love a laptop for watching streaming videos (I watch episodes I miss on TV on the computer) and movies. Fast internet browsing is a plus!

It should beable to hold lots of pictures and documents.

I am looking for something under 1,000 dollars (would be ideal) I did see some laptops around the 600 dollar range before adding a warranty price.

Such as,

I did come across this laptop that seemed nice:
HP Pavilion dv6-2150us Laptop

I would like some other options as well or if you strongly suggest a specific laptop please let me know because I am going shopping this weekend! Thanks!

As with all other posts on this particular topic, you will get way more bang for your buck and you will be much more pleased with your performance with a desktop.

While laptops can do everything you said and more, they will be extremely hot, they will only last about 45 minutes without being plugged in, and they will cost you an arm and a leg.

I suspect you are in the US :lol:

Are you looking to buy online, or buy from retail stores?

I think under $1,000, you won't be able to game at max, maybe just mid-low settings. What games are you looking at playing?

My Infiti laptop (see my sig below) can watch videos fine. I even am able to watch movies on TV via S-video. Looks fine to me...

Any computer can hold pictures. You might want to get an external drive down the road. Easy backup ;)

For me, I don't trust HP except for their spectacular printers. But if anyone else wants to recommend one, you're not hurting my feelings. I rather trust ASUS, Toshiba, Acer or Dell.

As soon as you answer the above, we'll have more of an idea what you want ;)

Edit: What Lex said, too..

If portability and/or battery life is/are a concern this Alienware is hard to beat.

Alienware M11x Laptop Details | Dell

It has hybrid graphics so you can use the Intel X4500m for watching videos and browsing the web which will save power and keep the system cool. Then when you want to game you can switch over to the nvidia GT335M.

If portability and/or battery life is/are a concern this Alienware is hard to beat.

Alienware M11x Laptop Details | Dell

It has hybrid graphics so you can use the Intel X4500m for watching videos and browsing the web which will save power and keep the system cool. Then when you want to game you can switch over to the nvidia GT335M.

This looks great, I will look into it more. All my computers have been Dell. I have an XPS 410 desktop and use to have a dell laptop a few years ago. I guess sticking with dell wouldn't be a bad idea. I already have a desktop as I stated above but I really would love to add a laptop to my house so I can move it around.

Well - for $799 the Ram= 2gb, there is no cd/dvd drive, the duo -core processor = 1.3 ghz, so once again the whole gaming on laptops without spending a lot is very difficult.

OK found a ASUS over a Amazon for $864.82. Model#X83Vp-A1. P8700 (2.53 Ghz) , 4 gb of Ram, and a ATI HD 4650 video card.

Well - for $799 the Ram= 2gb, there is no cd/dvd drive, the duo -core processor = 1.3 ghz, so once again the whole gaming on laptops without spending a lot is very difficult.

See, i haven't found any comparisons on how theses new su chips run. I've seen them grouped with 260m cards, so its got to be pretty good..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom