Gaming Rig: First time Builder

Status
Not open for further replies.
I figured but just needed to confirm. Thanks!!!

So I'd actually probably be better off with the ASRock board since I want an ATI GPU and I could at least run DUAL GPU's, even if it's not the best way to do it. Is there anything I'm missing?

Hey everyone.

So, money contraints are keeping me from getting the system I want. I'm sure this has been asked a million times, but how much worse is the Phenom II x3 720 BE than the Phenom II x4 955 BE? I could save myself almost 70 bucks going that route.

The 720 is still a great processor, there's no problem going that route. It has great overclocking room and since you are getting the BE it could be easier for you to do so, if you choose to do so later down the road of course ;)

I say go for it, still a nice system either way!

Edit: Have you bought the vidoe card/ psu combo yet? If not, that is good. I came across an interesting thread over at johnyguru that suggests NOT to buy that PSU, no matter what the combo savings are. You might want to step down to a 5770 and get a different PSU:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6368

Thanks for the info! I haven't bought anything yet. I probably won't start buying for another month when I get my tax return back (already filed).

Thanks especially for the power supply info. As of right now my plan is to still get the Antec I originally posted.

Edit: Have you bought the vidoe card/ psu combo yet? If not, that is good. I came across an interesting thread over at johnyguru that suggests NOT to buy that PSU, no matter what the combo savings are. You might want to step down to a 5770 and get a different PSU:

Thermaltake TR2 RX more waves than a Jersey salon - jonnyGURU Forums

that isnt the psu in the combo though, the one in the combo is a tt tr2 600w (which i cant even seem to find any reviews on..)

but then again, i guess it mightve been too good to be true.

if Ste happens to come around, he might have some further info on this but for now, i guess you should stay with the more reputable brands.

sry dude >.<

No sorry necassary! You have all been very helpful! Like I said, I'm a ways away from buying the parts. I've been spending all of my free time at work reading reviews of different things for my build. This will be the first time I actually get to build a system from scratch. I've been dreaming of doing so since like 2002 but always settled on getting a laptop to be more convenient. But with Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 around the corner, It's time to do this, lol.

The only parts I already have is my TV/monitor (42inch LCD), my wireless keyboard and mouse, and my big *** case.

Since I'm currently rocking a AMD 64 3500 system, I'm dying to upgrade. Itcan't even handle 1080p video at the moment. Though it does run windows 7 much better than I thought it would. This system is a frankenstein of leftover parts from friends and craigslist-finds but it has served me well. I learned a lot from it, and I'm glad I built that before I actually started from scratch with parts.

Hey everyone!

I just wanted to say thanks again to everyone who helped me on here! I put my build together this week and it's been amazing so far. I did end up getting the AMD 955 x4 BE but I did scale my vid card back to a radeon 4650. I also changed my RAM to G.Skill ripjaws at 1600 with a latency of 7. So far this system has been amazing! i also added a 30 gig SSD as my OS drive!

Thanks again to everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom