Kingston Ships First 256GB USB Flash Drive in the U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Kingston Ships First 256GB USB Flash Drive in the U.S.

Kingston Technology, Inc., the independent world leader in memory products, today announced the release of DataTraveler® 310, the first 256GB USB Flash drive in the United States. The DataTraveler 310 replaces the 256GB DataTraveler 300, released in July 2009 to the Asia/Pacific and Europe, Middle East and Africa regions.

"We saw an opportunity to push the capacity envelope for USB Flash drives in the marketplace. Customer feedback and our research determined that this is a great solution for designers, engineers and architects who have a need to easily store and transport large data files," said Andrew Ewing, USB business manager, Kingston®. "For the enthusiast who wants easy access to their full media library, the DataTraveler 310 can store up to 365 CDs, 54 DVDs or 51,000 images*. This device makes an entire collection of data easily portable."

But why?! I mean it would give you techy points but other than that a portable HDD gives you more capacity at a lesser price.

WOW $1,100!

Maybe for like $75-100 I could see this has being handy.

But as you said, you can get a eHD with like 500gb of storage for $80-100..... This would be A LOT easier for portable use( the only reason I would pay $75-100 for it) but jeez..not for that price tag. You could just get a laptop for that price lol

I am with yami on this, ?Why? I can only see this useful for digital packrats who insist on having all the films and music they have on them at all times. I have never gone over 6gb of data on any of my USB drives, I know ATM I have a 500gb external plugged into my my laptop but that because I am deployed at the moment and wanted more than a few disks to watch in my down time.

This is one of them toys that is nice to have but also totally useless to all but a few.

this has a definate niche in the architecture, music, and animation fields. some uber-techies might get it just to say they have one lol. other than that, it's extravegant

Why??

Because it can go where hard drives cant and its flash based. Flash drives keep getting cheaper so this is good.

I still remember when a 128mb flash drive cost around $20. My first flash drive was a 32mb.

But hard drives can go pretty much the same exact place. I can fit a portable HDD in pocket just as well as this. Though I suppose hanging it around my neck would be a little impractical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom